1930 oil filter

Dwight Romberger

Dwight,

Are you sure this was not an aftermarket replacement? I have a very similar (if not the same) oil filter canister on my car and am certain it is not original. I also have a stock appearing canister that I purchased from Bob's that has a very different shape.

Thanks,

Dwight,

I think you would need to check for sure in the original manuals, but it was sometime in the early days that filters were not on all models. In the 30s they were added as standard. I think the orange units were an aftermarket device. Now there are the black straight canisters (fitted for spin on filters) that look like the original filters. I think the orange "acorns" were more generic (non-Buick) that many owners added.

Mine had the acorn fitted some time in the 50s but now repaced with a reproduction with the spin-on inside. I think those older filters used some type of metal guaze much like a scrubbing pad.

John

When my canister was changed out to the acorn shape, the bracket was changed to accommodate the new canister. Fortunately they kept the original bracket which came with the car when I bought it. I can tell you for sure that the original bracket will not work with the replacement canister but it does fit the one from Bob's just fine. Do you have a replaceable oil filter similar to a modern equivalent in yours? In other words does it look like a self-contained can with the filter media inside? If so that is definitely a more modern replacement and did not work in the original canister. Many people switched over to this style as the original oil filtration media became unavailable. It was also a lot more messy to work with which I believe prompted a lot of people to make the switch.

Thanks,

Edited by michaelod (see edit history)