1985 Riviera Dash Short

Guest hammerala

Guest hammerala

I have pulled the digital speedometer and unplugged the board and it still blows the gauge fuse when I turn the key to the on position. Any thoughts of what I should check next would be greatly appreciated.

hammerala,

First off, what is your name? We are a pretty friendly group for the most part and it's nice to know who you are talking to!

Secondly, you need a service manual if you are serious about fixing this car correctly. Not a Haynes manual but an honest to goodness Buick Service Manual.

Thirdly, the gages fuse powers up a whole lot more than just the gages! It supplies power to the illuminated entry timer, memory disable relay, theft deterrent controller, brake switch and then to splice 221 which powers up the turbo boost gage, digital cluster, defogger control, 2 instrument panel feeds, multi-function chime module Service Engine Soon lamp, vehicle speed sensor buffer and light driver module. Any of those components or their wiring could be shorted to ground causing your issue.

The service manual does a nice job of detailng out the wiring diagram and the component locations that you need to solve the issue!

Good Luck,

Tim