Grease

Phil 32DL6

I've been using regular chassis lube on all of the regular spots, but the chart for my '32 call for medium fibre grease for the clutch cup, distributor and U-joints.

Is there a modern term or equivalent for this to look for? What are others using?

Also, the steering gear calls for fluid gear lubricant (110-160 SAE viscosity depending on season). How does one get that into a Zirk fitting?

I still have a can of water pump grease I found on the shelf of a Western Auto a number of years back. When I brought it to the counter the young fellow said, "What's THAT for?" "To lubricate my water pump," I says. "You don't grease a water pump," he said with authority, "you just replace 'em!"

Da originally came with a cap that was removed on the steering gear, there were no grease fitting on them but people over the years put grease fitting there thinking they had a better way, that is what I suspect has happened to your car but it is only a guess.

I use a heavy red marine grease on all my chasis parts, water dosent wash it away so easliy.

Actually the diagram in my '32 owner's manual shows the same lubricant nipple that's on the top of my steering gear housing, so I'd say it's all original.

The manual says "The housing should be filled with [fluid gear lubricant] by means of the high-pressure gun." Since it says "THE" in that sentence, they must be referring to "the" one that came in the tool set...which wasn't among the tools which came with the car.

Am I right to think I should be looking for any non-cartridge type mini grease gun with the correct nozzle style? Like this one? Will it hold 85-140 weight gear lube?

post-61720-143138196449_thumb.jpg

Am I right to think I should be looking for any non-cartridge type mini grease gun with the correct nozzle style? Like this one? Will it hold 85-140 weight gear lube?.........

Yes almost defanitely the correct gun for your car will read......For semi-solid lubricant or oil...........At least that is what the one that I believe ( at this point still working on pinpointing the exact model for sure for my own car ) is correct for my own car states. I am still awaiting a second possible model gun to arrive and when it does I can e-mail you a picture of the two barrells.

Guest imported_woodwheels

Phil; The changes in grease and oil in the last 20 years is huge and it is even more so since the 30's. All of these changes are for the beter. Fiber grease for wheel bearings, water pumps and throw outs has been replaced with "high speed" nomenclature. Shell makes the only product so marked for water pump use called DOLIUM, that I am aware of. I use it and it works. For steering boxes STP is the thickest liguid grease on the market. Fill your steering box with it over and over again until it has flushed all of the other stuff out. How ever much it leaks at that point is what you will have to live with short of a 100% rebuild. Do not put chassis grease in a steering box, it will cavatate and not lubricate all of the parts and pieces that need total contact with the lubricant. It is simply to thick.

For the rest of your needs remember that the guality of a good grade of chassis grease today is infinately superior to the very best of greases prior to the introduction of TRC in the very early 70's. Since then chemistry has improved all forms of lubricants and oils greatly. Consider using synthetic 75-140 in your gear box and differential and petrolium base oils in your engine. The cost of synthetics is very stiff and in my opinion not worth the expense in an engine that receives TLC as its main use menu. Name brand oils changed every 1500 miles and always before putting the machine away for the off season, are cheap insurance for longevity.

Jim Cook

1933 DP Dodge technical advisor

Dodge Brothers Club

Phil, here is that grease gun info I had mentioned, as you can see they list the guns to work either or. This is an original manual that I recently purchased dated March 1930 and my May 0f 33 manual ( which I cant find right this minute states the same. ......Guns are marked the same on barrel

post-48869-143138201976_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the scan, Jason...that will help a LOT in my search.

Jim...thanks for all of your info. I wouldn't think of putting chassis lube in the steering box, but I was going to follow the manual which calls for gear lube, so I figured the SAE 85-140 gear lube I've used in the tranny and freewheeling unit would be suitable. Neither of them leak nor does the steering box. You say STP is better to use in the steering box, yet below you then say use "75-140," so I'm confused?

How is Shell's "DOLIUM" used...in a grease cup or zirk-style fitting? (And where do you get it?) My early 32 DL has a grease cup on the water pump, while the later 32 DL has a zirk fitting. The manuals seem to indicate Dodge switched horses mid-stream...er, fittings mid-year.

What do you use in the clutch cup, distributor, and U-joints these days instead of the specified medium fibre grease?

Edited by Phil 32DL6 (see edit history)

Phil; Gear lube in new '33 cars was 90w or 160w. Most '33 steering boxes leak with 90w in them, most a lot worse than others. These boxes are extremely difficult to rebuild because of a serious shortage or parts, beyond seals. STP is the most viscious oil I know of that is readily available, many times thicker than 90w. The 74-140 I mention is for trans and differential use. Shells DOLIUM is sold in a standard grease gun cartridge and administered in a lever handle grease gun. Change the grease nipple to a modern locking nipple. The old pressure apply nipples are for show vehicles only and are useless in maintaning any vehicles grease applications. DOLIUM is also listed as a high speed lubricant and works well in clutch throw outs, distributors and constant velocity joints as do a variety of other high speed greases. I suggest going to Shell on line and ask who sells their product in your community.

Jim

Phil; Here are 2 more greases that need to be added to the list of water pump, EP greases. 1). Sta-Lube Marine grease Part # SL3120 2). Valvoline Crimson Part # 70124. This modern world continues to add and delete very useful items. Old goofs, like myself, have learned over the years to stick with what we know works, as long as it is available. Thank you for your up date and inspiring me to look at what else might be out there. there is probably more than we have listed.

When keeping up with whatever means by the hour or day replaces by what is out there year to year or by the 5 year mark, my generation has a hard time catching its breath.

Jim

• 1 year later...

Do these recommendations regarding 'grease' apply to the older vehicles as well? Am just getting starting going over my car from top to bottom learning all the places I need to be focusing on... which of these grease choices would be used to fill the cup on the fan housing of a '26 DB 12v?

Does anyone have a diagram of all the lube locations/types of grease etc? for a '26 era vehicle?