serial number help

papafarms

Hi guys, just registered so new to this, i need help identifying a engine number, it was in my 40 buick convertible, but knew it was not a 40 series engine, so the number is 63066115, it is a straight8, any help would be appreciated thanks Bob

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Bob:

Be REAL careful here!!! There are TWO possible interpretations of the number you posted.

One is: 6 - 3,066,115 which would be a 320 engine from Jan. 1936, for a Century. This would require that your 1940 is a Century, a Roadmaster, or an 80 series Limited.

The second possibility, caused by a change in the position series identifier number that occurred in 1941 is: 6,306, 611 - 5 which is a March 1951 Super engine. That would lead to your 1940 being a Special or a Super, which was originally a 248 engine but now has a 263 engine in it. The 263 is a direct fit change.

The prior answer failed to take into account the second possible situation and you didn't say what series your car is.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Bob;

I put the dashes in ONLY to show how those engine numbers work and for the information of all of our Forum mambers.

Buick did stamp the numbers as a group at the factory. Your response of a Special means my second possibility is the correct one. (1951 Super 263)

Regards, Dave Corbin