23 Buick Roadster Model 44-6 exhaust system specifications

Guest pssmls

Guest pssmls

Just recd a muffler for my 23 Buick roadster. Maremont specs indicate the outlet OD measurement is 1.187 in., however the muffler itself measures 1.787 in. If the tail pipe is to be placed over the outlet, it seems that it would be a fairly large diameter pipe. Does anyone know what the diameter of the outlet pipe should actually be? Thanks.

Guest pssmls

Thanks Rick. I now have my muffler installed, but need help with getting a tail pope. I understand that the tail pipe exits under the left running board and is only a little over a foot long. Would you be able to provide a photo so I can have a guide as to how to get a tail pipe bent and also what the tail piple bracket it like? I would appreciate it so much. Thanks. Paul

Guest pssmls

To jbbuick22:

Would the tail pipe be the same for my 23 Buick Roadster Conv 6 cyl. (model 6-44)? I have requested a photo from Rick Hoover.

Guest pssmls

To unimogjohn:

Thank you for the photos. They helped a lot. I now have my muffler installed, but had no idea the tail pipe is so short and exits underneath the left running board. I wonder if it is the same for my model 6-44 (6 cyl roadster convertible). I have requested a photo, but since you already sent me photos of the muffler, would you be so kind as to send an additional photo of the tail pipe and bracket wet up? Thank you so much. I very much appreciate all the help from everyone.

Paul,

I'd be happy to take a picture for you, but my tail pipe doesn't exit out under the left running board like you're being told. Mine is a full length pipe that exits out the back of the car between the gas tank and left rear fender. I could be wrong, but I thought they all did. I'm just not sure. Either way, I also have a spare pipe for my car and could help with pictures, ect, if you wish. Just curious, where are you located?

The parts book only shows the exhaust pipe and the muffler with a short pipe coming out at

an angle, and my exhaust on my 22-55 is orig and matches the one in the book.

I think most cars had an after mkt. tail pipe made to exit at the rear. The closed cars used a long tail pipe that was connected to the rear floor exhaust heater.

JB

Buick 22-6-55 Sport Touring

JB,

Well, I learned something today. After reading your last post, I pulled out all my Buick books and sure enough, there's a chassis photo showing the pipe exactly as you said. I never picked up on that before. So thanks!

Paul,

As simple as that pipe looks, I would think you could get just about any muffler shop to make that up for you. A picture of mine won't do you any good.

Guest pssmls

JB, On my Buick Roadster, there is a tailpipe bracket attached on the inside of the left frame rail about 9 inches behind the muffler. So it appears the tail pipe goes straight back at least that far and then would angle out. What I don't know are the following:

1. What is the angle of the bend in the pipe?

2. How far does the tail pipe extend under the left running board?

3. Does the pipe have a bend just before the end of it so as not to damage the running

board by the exhaust heat?

4. Is the end of the pipe cut off square or cut off at an angle - if an angle, is it angled down

or back?

It would help if I had the measurement from the back of the muffler to the bend in the tail pipe and the length of the tail pipe after the bend. Of course, I would also need the % of the angle of the bend in the pipe. That way I can make a drawing for the muffler shop to bend the pipe and make it as close to original as possible.

Would you be able to get those measurements for me or steer me to where I might find the specs for the tail pipe? I would certainly appreciate whatever you can do for me. Thank you.