Borg Warner Lock Out

Guest B1rdman

Guest B1rdman

:confused:

will someone explain how the overdrive lockout switch works.

and what is its purpose?? i looked at mine, and the two wires

are off the switch and shorter together.

also anyone know where on the web i can find a wiring diagram

for the overdrive electrics??

thanks

gene

Guest notnow

B1rdman ; Earle Brown has a book on BW overdrives ,, The Wiring was a little differant between the early and later models ,I think ..CH

There really isn't a lock-out switch. Lock-out is accomplished by a lever attached by cable to a dash mounted pull out. You can get a Ford -Lincoln-Mercury repair manual on e-bay or several document sources. The manual has a diagram for the overdrive. I recall seeing a button on the top with two wires on mine that might be an interlock you don't need. There is also a governor that won't let the OD engage until about 20-25 mph, and a kick down solenoid for shifting.

Abe

The lockout switch cuts power to the solenoid when the lock out lever is moved to the lockout position. This will keep the overdrive solenoid from trying to engage when driving in the lockout position over the speed that the governor allows engagement.

Guest notnow

Correct Me if I'm wrong .. But I thought the "Lock Out Switch" was to prevent the Overdrive from Operating in LOW and Reverse ..?????

I've taken apart several later model BW OD's, and there was a pawl that moved into place when the transmission was shifted into reverse that prevents overdrive use. I put in a switch to bypass the governor so I could avoid free wheeling at low speeds, but then the tranny wouldn't shift into reverse with the switch on. I have been in Low - OD, but the engine really revs. Haven't had the early OD apart yet, but I suppose the day will come...

Abe

The overdrive can engage in any forward speed including "low". Due to the design of the OD with it's free wheeling feature the car will not move backwards if the OD is engaged, When you shift the transmission to reverse a rod with in the unit will physically lock up the planetary gearset and disable the freewheeling unit. The lock out lever on the side of the OD will also engage this rod with in the unit. When ever you rewire the OD to manual control you need to take care when parking the car with OD still engaged especially if you are unable move the car forward enough to relieve pressure on the engaing pawl while disconnecting power to the solenoid. If you are tight up against something the next step is to jack up one rear wheel, Put the transmission "in gear", disconnect electrical power to whatever is keepng the OD engaged, and then bump the wheel forward until it becomes free and will rotate backswards. Been there a few times in my youth!