1964 Electra Convertible White/White - This was a nice car in it's day

Guest BJM

Buick : Electra : eBay Motors (item 160409216662 end time Mar-07-10 19:38:51 PST)=

Scrolling the site mash I found this one. I think it is modestly overpriced as a full on project but what if you can save the interior with a good cleaning (seats and door panels). That is probably original WHITE leather in there WOW.

Those were the days of optimism. Triple white. Buckets and console. I'll bet there has been a post auction contact and this car is gone (wonder if a BCA member got it)

I am partial to the 64 Electra convertibles and 64 Buick convertibles in particular. I have owned 2 Electra convertibles, a 64 Wildcat convertible and a 64 LeSabre convertibel.

I was born in 64, but found myself attracted to the post "corrugated sides" styling of the 59-60's (which I equally love) but the sobriety of the slab sided 62-64's returned beautiful elegance to the Buick line up.

The Electra convertibles of 63-64 really highlighted this theme. 63 started the turned up rear bumper end styling cut that went throughout the 70's in good order.

3-5 years ago this car would have met reserve I think even though the 31,000 mile claim is dubious. BUT, that might mean it sat for years in bad storage. I bought a 50,000 mile 73 Centurion convertible once that suffered from very bad storage.

Anyway, I love this car and thought others might as well, triple white with buckets.

Edited by BJM (see edit history)

I was involved with a restoration of a 64 Electra (reluctantly) a few years back. It was not my car, and it was purchased against my advice. It was bought for a lot more than the reserve on this car. IMO it was too far gone to be restored, at least I would not have taken it on.

I'm no coward, at this time one of my cars is getting a frame swap, a 55 Special body onto a modified 78 LeSabre frame. Just wanted to state that, I'll take a challenge on.

It ran, one dead cylinder, SEVERE rust throughout the underside and below the lower side moldings. In fact, a lot of daylight was visible through the right A pillar near the hinges. The lower side moldings were removed, aluminum pop riveted to what little good metal was there and attached to the rockers and quarters and painted over. One brake line pinched off, the rest was a hodgepodge of patches. Floor pans were hammered from flat metal, but the seller included replacement pans with the car. Unfortunately the reinforcements under the floor were also gone, they had to be fabbed, along with seat mounts. The seat mounts had gone away a LONG time before that. At least the radio worked.

Top power mechanism missing, top latches were threaded rod with nuts and washers.

All diecast trim on the car was blistered, that in addition to the rust issue would have scared me off. Regular steel chroming is bad enough. I just got the price to chrome two 455 valve covers, 150 to 175. I about fell off my chair.

With some VERY talented people, and a dedicated owner it again lives. I had only a very minor role, procurement of materials. That was enough of a challenge. Again, thanks to eBay and the internet, made my assignment a lot easier.

In the sale car here,if that left quarter has no major issues, looks like some rust at the top, and a suspicious area under the car checked out ok, it probably would not have been a bad deal. The engine, well figure a complete rebuild as the valve covers were not taken off to show the fine internal condition.

And another strange thing, why was the accelerator linkage taken off the firewall?

BTW, I'm no 64 expert, but all the 64 Electra convertibles, both bucket and bench seating that I have seen have had leather seating.

Edited by GMPARTSMAN (see edit history)

BTW, I'm no 64 expert, but all the 64 Electra convertibles, both bucket and bench seating that I have seen have had leather seating.

Correct. I see leather creases in some of the seating areas so at least some of the seating is leather.

As for the mileage being described as correct that to me is irrelevant as it would need completely redone but the car as a triple white bucket seat console car that is not entirely rusted/perforated is a rare and neat sight today.

My 2 64 Electras were Red/Black/Black bench and Blue/Black/black bench. The Blue car was dark blue and a legitimate 75,000 mile car with some pan rust out. The red car was original factory red and was a 2x4 car with posi and braking (sometimes) by the Fred Flintstone method :D but I loved it.