WTB: 6-bolt cover Manual trans

brad54

Anyone have, or know where I can get, a Manual trans with a six-bolt cover. I just pulled the 264 out of my daily driver '54 Special because of bad noises coming from the bell housing: A sheared rivet on the clutch disk sent metal bits into the pilot bearing, which wiped out the bearing, and the resultant slop at the end of the input shaft now gives me about 1/4 inch of play in the mainshaft at the trans. mad.gif" border="0 <BR>I'm figuring this is the catalyst I need to an open driveshaft at this point, but I need a 6-bolt trans to do that. Either that or hunt down an OD trans from a '58 Chevy and have a machine shop lengthen the input shaft. But then I have to convert the steering column, too.<BR>Thanks

A guy in Cal shucked out a stick shift and talked about going to an open driveshaft.DONT do it The trans in any Buick with torque-tube drive positions the rear axle with relationship to the frame.I had the parts for him,and probably for you.Ralph Crisp

I want to go with an open drive shaft for mainly one reason: highway gears. It's got the stock 3.90 gears in it, and I've got a set of 3.40 gears from an automatic car, but 1) the gears sat for a long time and the teeth are slightly pitted 2) 3.40 is still a bit too steep. I'd like to go to a 3.20-or so gearing.<BR>The ideal set up would be an overdrive manual trans (like from a '58 Chevy)and an open drive shaft. That way I can have like 3.55 gears and still get gas mileage. I know I'll have to fabricate control arms running up front, and the accompanying cross member. I'll also have to have the input shaft of the trans lengthened almost 2 inches and re-heat treated to work with the stock bell housing.<BR>Unless you know of a way to get highway gears with the 3 speed. It doesn't have to be fast off the line--I've got another car for that. I just want something I can get on the open road with!<BR>Thanks,<BR>-Brad

I don't know if this will help , but I have a 3 speed trans form a 39 Cad, with a floor shifter set up. I think the cad box will bolt up tothe buick bellhousing but not sure i don't have and patters to compare. The front shaft may have to be changed, The cad box is an open driveshaft, and just about as long as the buicktrans with the long tailshaft. The only other trans is the Olds, it is a 6 bolt top, with an open drive shaft, any olds trans through the 50's<BR>I had a 54 Special with the 3 sp trans years ago, and could not keep a trans, no such thing as speed shifting the Buick trans. After the 3rd trans replacement ,I could do the change in a couple of hours.<BR>Do you want to sell car, I am looking for a 54 40 or 60 series with a 3 speed, 2 dr or HT.<P>Jim Schilf / palbuick@aol.com

Will the Olds trans bolt to the Buick bellhousing? The problem with the '39 Caddy trans is that it'll be even harder to get parts for than the '54. Plus I doubt it's synchronized.<BR>I've got a spare 5-bolt cover trans, but I really want to go with highway gears, and can't find a way to do that with the Torque Tube. (3.40 is still a bit too steep. I'd like 3.23 or even 3.10 or even 2.90)<BR>I appreciate the offer, but I don't want to part with the car just yet. (Hope my wife doesn't read this...)