Sound System Upgrade

Guest Justin224

Guest Justin224

Since my factory speakers are at the end of their life, I'm on a mission to upgrade the entire audio system in my Reatta. I've purchased new front & rear speakers, and I have a sub-box from a Yukon that was given away via Cash 4 Clunkers (the box can really kick, and I've already got the amps as well). My plan is to throw it in the trunk and remove the "trunk/car access door" and replace it with a wooden frame and the same lining that is already covering the rear speaker grills. I'm pretty excited about the new sound, however, I am looking for some advice for the gurus...

Best case scenerio, I'd love to upgrade the source to really take advantage of the audio quality. My Reatta is an 89, so I really want to avoid messing with the dash electronics as much as possible... does anyone have any ideas/ reccomendations/ warnings???

One idea was to see if it was possible to leave all of the climate/diagnostics/etc attached to the CRT screen and have a seperate external/iPod source for audio off of the touch screen. If not, maybe finding a way to mount an aftermarket head unit in addition to the CRT screen. The main objective here is the best quality sound and taking advantage of the equipment I already own.

If any help /guidance/ fore-warnings can be given, I'd be grateful. Thanks in advance

Justin

Guest Justin224

Thanks, I did see Daniel's threads about the caddy and Eldarado upgrades... Do you know if those are the best options for a higher quality source? I was almost hoping I could order an aftermarket module rather than hunt through a junkyard. Besides the labor of hard-wiring the cables, the only $$ I'm really going to have to spend is on the new source... Actually, the radio function is almost dismissible if that helps. I perfer to have it, but I really could live with just having an aux input for my iPod. However, not having L & R balance would be a real pain (As the driver, I like to have the music centered around me, rather than calibrated for the difference of both passangers).