Jim Roll past way

boblichty

<table class="MsoNormalTable" style="width: 503px; height: 1635px;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><tr><td style="padding: 3pt;" colspan="2"> For those who knew him one of the best pre-war car upholsters in the US past away here is part of his obit from the local paper. :mad:

James E. Roll, 72, of New Philadelphia, died Saturday, February 06, 2010 in Union Hospital at Dover.

A son of the late John and Geneva (McFadden) Roll, Jim was born October 18, 1937 in Old Town Valley.

Jim graduated from New Philadelphia High School in 1955. That same year he married his childhood sweetheart, the former Laurel Watson.

In his early teens, Jim developed an interest in automobiles by building his own cars and helping friends with repairs. In 1957, Jim used his self taught skills to start his own upholstery business which was called Tailored Trim Service. The business would grow quickly over the next few years and it became a full time business as he relocated it to the current location on East High Avenue in 1961.

Jim would become well known for his expertise in the automotive industry and many of his creations were recognized in many national and international trade journals. Jim was a highly sought after upholsterer by many diverse individuals from across the nation and one of his masterpieces won "Best of Show" at Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. In 2007, a permanent award, The J.E. Roll Award for Best Interior, was established at the annual Glenmoor Gathering of Significant Automobiles at Canton.

He was a member of Community of Christ Church at New Philadelphia, a life member of the New Philadelphia Elks Lodge 510 and a member of the Lincoln Continental Owners Club. In 2008, Jim was honored with the Quaker Foundation's Lifetime Achievement Award.

Surviving are his wife, Laurel (Watson) Roll of the home, three children and their spouses, Douglas and Brenda Roll of Dover, Dana Roll and Jerry Recchio of New Philadelphia and Jan and Jamie Roll of Bolivar; grandchildren, Eric and Emily Roll, Megan (Joshua) Jenkins, Rachel Pisony, Ethan Recchio and Shannon, Shaelynn and Brennen Roll; two sisters, Elaine (Bill) Wright of Ft. Myers, Florida and Janet (Bob) Archer of Ashland, Ohio; two brothers, J.F. "Fred" (Melanie) Roll of North Canton and David (Lona) Roll of New Philadelphia and a brother-in-law, Jim (Becky) Watson of New Philadelphia.

Jim was preceded in death by his parents; a son, Jay Edward Roll and his father-in-law and mother-in-law, James and Marian Watson.

Friends may call on Tuesday, February 9, 2010 from 2 to 4 and 6 to 8 p.m. in the Linn-Hert-Geib Funeral Home & Crematory at New Philadelphia. A funeral service celebrating Jim's life will be held on Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 10:30 a.m. in the funeral home with Pastors Rose Lomax and Jim Watson officiating. Burial will follow in Evergreen Burial Park at New Philadelphia. Following the committal service, a memorial reception will be held in the Geib Family Center at New Philadelphia.

Contributions may be made in Jim's memory to Outreach International, 129 W. Lexington Avenue, Independence, MO 64050 and or to Hospice of Tuscarawas County, 201 West Third Street, Dover, OH 44622.<o>:P></o>:P>

</td></tr></tr></tbody></table>

Sorry to hear about Mr. Roll; I had the pleasure of meeting him with the late Tom Hearn about six or seven years ago, when Tom and his son were rebuilding the engine and doing some restoration work on my '62 Olds Starfire. At that time, I was looking to have the interior re-done to factory specifications, and Tom took me down to see Jim; needless to say I was impressed with his knowledge of the various grains, styles, and the finer points of interior restoration. At the time, Jim was not in the best of health, but he did recommend for me a protege of his whom had learned his craft from him, and who did a great job restoring the two-tone leather and vinyl (Olds called it "morrocceen" interior) for my Starfire.

Jim made a new (correct and perfect) convertible top for my 1939 La Salle Convertible coupe. Not only was he one of the best, he took a genuine interest in the car and did the necessary research so that the finished product was exactly the same as the day the car rolled off the assembly line. Here is a picture of Jim in front of his shop that was taken in June of 2008 after he completed my car.

May he rest in peace. We will miss you Jim.

Fred Zwicker

post-58746-143138172793_thumb.jpg