Butler Finish

Bob Zetnick

The butler finish can also be known as a satin finish. For the most part it just looks like unpolished nickle after plating, a bit on the dull side, not shiney or a mirror finish. The butler/satin nickle finish is called for on a few different parts on the Ford Model A, in particular the gearshift and the parking brake handle. In particular the parking brake handle has to be a combination of bright, polished nickle, and butler/satin nickle.

Any plater should be able to give you the finish you are looking for. One way to accomplish the satin/butler look yourself is to use an ultra-fine scotch-brite pad on the piece. Pretty common way for dulling down the backside of over-restored Model A bumpers and getting the butler/satin look on the gearshift or parking brake handle.

There was a guy a while back that went thru IN DETAIL all the finishes avail and how the process went, he apparently worked for a plater but wouldnt give out his shops name if I remember correctly. If anyone can remember how to find that guys post so I can reread and print I would sure apprceciate it. I dont think it was a post made in this particular D.B forum but was one of the others I cant seem to make the search button on this forum do anything for me but give me ulcers.

Bob if I remember correctly butler finish is just a step they go thru when doing the plating. They just dont take the traditional chroming process all the way. I amy be wrong but I dont think so.

Thanks guys. However it was done, it did seem like perhaps a thinner finish.....the detail on the edges of interior hardware was not lost due to a heavy plating.....I was curious as to how different a 'Butler finish' may have been from a regular chrome or nickel finish.

Butler Finish is a satin nickel finish. I have replicated it on chromed parts by buffing them lightly with a wheel loaded with black polish (about 180 grit, I think). One has to go very easy with it! I think in the day it was just unpolished nickel--as the nickel they used then required polishing to be shiny--modern nickel comes out of the vat shiny.

David D.

The butler finish nickel is a fine satin finish. This finish originally resulted from the regular cleaning and polishing of fine silverware. One way to produce the finish is to wet scratch the surface with a suitable wire brush. An easier way is to buff the surface using fine grit, greaseless buffing compound. The type of nickel bath is important. Bright nickel baths give a finish that is too glossy so a dull or semi-bright bath should be used.