Straight six starting probem

Guest Billyzack

Guest Billyzack

I have a 48 Desoto Custom and I have a starting question. I have a completely charged 6V battery and when I push the start button, it sounds ike the engine is straining to start. The battery cable got hot and started burning. I jumped it with another 6V battery and same problem. It started using starting fluid and ran fine. My question is does this sound like a starter going bad? ike I said, it runs fine but a bit hard to get going. Thx, BZ

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Have the cables been replaced? If the original cables were replaced with 12 volt cables you will have the problems you describe. The original cables, were as big around as your thumb and had rubber insulation. The rubber has cracked and fallen off by now. Most have been replaced with #2 cables which are too small. You need #1.

If you can't get the right size arc welding cable is a good substitute. I was given some old welding cable years ago when it was being replaced, it makes great battery cables.