47 Super window trim removal

Guest Richard Moore

Guest Richard Moore

I'm ready to paint my 47.Try as I might,I can't remove the stainless trim around the roll up windows on the doors.I've tried prying with a putty knife.I'm afraid too much pressure will bend the area next to the moulding on the door.I'm sure someone out there has encountered this problem before.Any ideas?

Guest Richard Moore

Bill,Thanks for the reply.My 47 is pretty much apart at this time.Interior door mouldings(cloth,caddboard,metal trim,ect.)are off.The window channel is still in.I can see some tabs inside the car that possibly hold the channel in the door.I don't see the nuts that you mentioned. There could be fasteners behind the channel.I already removed the stainless piece on all doors below the windows on the exterior.(about 3 inches above door handles)Should I remove the entire metal panel from the interior of all doors for better access.There has been a lot of dirt and sand behind all stainless trim removed.I'm glad I did so.I'm sure I must remove the stainless trim around windows on exterior.

Guest Richard Moore

Well,I have removed one window channel and looked at the stainless window trim from the inside.Looks like I've got my work cut out for me.The stainless trim is crimped to the door at the factory.I must remove the passenger side front and rear because they are dented.Do I grind the stainless at the bend ?Luckily I have a parts car with nice piecesAny ideas guys?

Edited by Richard Moore (see edit history)

Stay away from the trim with the afore mentioned grinder. While you may have a parts car you may need those someday. Can you un crimp the pieces using a large flat tool of some sort ? if they got in, they have to come out. Maybe by studying it and thinking, it will come to you. That works for me when I get stuck...

Guest Richard Moore

Thanks again Bill.I'll try carefully removing the trim,You are right,the brute strenght and ignorance method is asually a bad choice.