Our Cars & Restoration Project Forum

Scotts_DG8

I personally have a couple of simple predominant interests here, one being the General Discussion Forum which has at times produced topics that have caught my attention, in most cases I find interest just reading the posts and exchanges. I was never a major contributor, and at least for now I appear to have changed my ways there.

One of the other forms that I find most interesting is the Restoration Forum. It’s a shame that documenting a restoration can be so labor intensive and is without question a talent in it self. Although there are several on going projects the lulls between posts can at time build anticipation and bring on withdrawal symptoms. Those that have chosen to document a complete top to bottom, inside out restoration should be given an award for their efforts. The more detailed the documentation the bigger the award. These stories not only document but teaches others problem solving and the end result becomes a historic artifact that can be referenced by the forum masses.

If there were sponsored restoration documentations of the many restorations going on out there in the world it would be an amazing bit of history in it self. Maybe solicit a school age boy/girl to capture and report as a class “special credit” project. I really don’t know the answers, but I do know that I have a lot of interest and respect for those individuals who are spending the time and money to save a bit of history (25 years and older) and taking the time to tell their stories of doing so.

Scott

Edited by Scotts_DG8
Removed Font Specified (How'd that happen?) (see edit history)

Scott, I agree with you, the Our Cars and Restoration Projects forum is one of my favorites. I also enjoy the Technical forum, I find them both educational since I am a fairly recent convert to prewar cars. Contributors like Dean H. and Unimog put a lot of work and time into their posts and they have inspired me. While I am not doing full restorations I have posted a few items that are more maintenance and troubleshooting related and have always been happy with the response. These posts have also connected me with other owners of cars like mine and allowed me to build a good contact list.

What are your plans for the DG8? Looks like a great starting point for a restoration!

What are your plans for the DG8? Looks like a great starting point for a restoration!

I purchased the 1931 Dodge DG8 Rumble Seat Coupe back in June of 2005. I drove down to Tennessee to pick it up; it was a basket case. I’ve had the opportunity to piece together the parts from all the pails, baskets, boxes, etc. to identify what I have and what’s missing and see that the missing side is very small. That’s a good thing. The bad thing was that some of those missing parts turned out to be key engine parts. I started searching for an engine and a friend jumped in to assist in the search. He came across what was a complete DG8 replacement engine in the fall of 2008, and I drove down to Indiana to pick it up. I placed the engine in the following weekend and that’s where it at today, that was mid-Nov. 2008. By the way, I have the completed interior, seats, (inside and rumble), headlights, windshield, etc. they just aren’t on/in the car at this point. 2009 was not a good year for working on cars, just had to many irons in the fire.

What I plan to do this year with the ’31 is to at a minimum check that the engine does run. There may be more, but I’m going to set my goals on the low side. As you see by my signature I do own several cars, and the Dart will see some attention this year too as I have the complete interior to install, and if you read the technical post “LI Paint Shop Recommendation needed” you would see my post that was referring to the Dart. The Dart came home after two years of work the end of January of 2009. I should also note that the Dart was the first and will be the last car I have someone else do. I have the knowledge and talent just never allocated the time, it’s the cost though that helped me make this decision.

When I get to the point of starting the engine for the first time I will start a thread/post in the Restoration forum. It’s going to be a big moment to hear it run for me. We’ll see where we go from there, I may still switch the priorities over to the ’31, I have thought about it.

Scott

Edited by Scotts_DG8
Removed Font Specified (How'd that happen?) (see edit history)