Gear shift boot for 1930 Model 68

michaelod

I have a question that perhaps some knowledgeable person can address. I am sort of restoring many parts on my 30-68 on a somewhat random basis. Since I pulled off the transmission cover today, deciding to clean up and paint it, I noticed the boots for the gear shift lever and the emergency brake are in dire need of some attention. I checked at Bob's Automobilia and I am unable to locate replacements. Does anyone know of any good substitutions? I am curious what others have done in this situation.

Thanks,

post-63406-143138152773_thumb.jpg

post-63406-143138152777_thumb.jpg

Michael,

Researching available sales literature while restoring my 1930 indicated Buick didn't use a transmission or brake boot like other makes. I believe this is because of the rigidity of the motor/drive train meaning the levers don't flop around like they do on open drive train vehicles.

The flat rubber sandwiched on the cover plate is as much as I have seen on any 1929/1930 Buick. The floor covering is a very tight fit over the gear shift lever top which protrudes into the drivers compartment.

Having said that my trimmer fabricated a boot for both the gear and brake levers from leather and stitched them onto the front floor cover. They utilise a simple draw string arrangement at the top to pull them tight around the gear and brake levers.

I'll add a photo ( which is not all that clear! ), if you need a close up I'll arrange it.

post-31244-1431381528_thumb.jpg

post-31244-143138152849_thumb.jpg

Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)

Stuart,

Thanks for the tip on how you went about restoring these boots on your car. I initially thought that my gear shift boot was formed with a curved area extending upward, but that may just be an illusion. It is good to know that I can simply use some flat stock to create a new one.

Regards,