1930 CHRYSLER 70 CARBURETOR

We have two 1930 model 70's, they both had carter carbs on them when I bought them and ran fine. Since the coupe is under a total restoration, I'm putting a DX-3 back on it and have another for the brougham.

Saw a picture of your car just today on a club paper. Know of two others in North East USA that own model 70's. Do you happen to know how many model 70 Royal Coupes are left?

The "D' series Strombergs were Stromberg's first attempt at a downdraft carburetor. Basically the carburetor used updraft technology but sitting on top of the engine. NONE OF THEM WORKED WELL!

Stromberg recognized this, and after the introduction of the "E" series carbs, Stromberg offered E series replacements for virtually every application which originally had a D series.

Since Tim is doing a complete restoration, then the Stromberg D series, regardless of quality, is the original. However, for a "driver", one of the service Strombergs, or many other carbs, will perform MUCH better.

Jon.

I agree Jon, the DX-3 will come off when ( several years from now) the car becomes a driver. It is on there for judging only. Our Brougham is original and unrestored except for the carb. It has a Carter on it and ran well until the intake manifold cracked !

The Carter WA-1 was on one of my cars (and still is-my driver)and the other had a Ball & Ball. The Chrysler museum in Mich. had a Ball & Ball on display as the first downdraft used by Chrysler. I told them to check this out, it should have been a DX-3.

Would like to see more photo's of your car, I'm looking for more photo's of the upholstery. Mine goes to get done this month. Can send you photo's of ours if you would like. timandjuliawolfe1@roadrunner.com