1935 Series 40 Sprigs

kevzpix

Hi

I need some help in locating 1 (one only) of these complicated looking rear-spring bushes, as per the attached picture. The one I have, is broken off inside the chassis, without its hexagon head, so it currently, can't be removed, without wrecking it.

Thanks

Kevin

post-64555-143138148638_thumb.jpg

Edited by kevzpix
spelling error (see edit history)

I believe the Female threaded portion of this spring shackle stud is pressfit into the frame spring hanger or the leaf spring eye. They can be pressed out. You will want to replace this part as well as the damaged threaded stud. I used a Harbor Freight ball joint service kit to replace of the spring hangers on my 32 Buick. Bob's automobilia has the set ( pin and bushing) listed in his catalog for 32 to 36 Buicks.

Bob

Hi Bob

Thanks for your message, and assistance. I had previously looked in Bob's catalogue, but I find the terminology we use for car parts, here in New Zealand, is often the same, but sometimes different, from that which is used in USA, which can be a bit of a trap. I wish you compliments of the season, from "down under" , & hope it's not too cold where you are.

Regards

Kevin

Kevin,

The part you have shown in the photo is part number 1283856 - Bushing - Spring Shackle.

These are difficult to locate and I don't know anyone who sells replacements. They are specific to the 1934/35 and maybe 36 Series 40 Buick.

If the head is broken off it means it is in pretty tight - not a press fit but is threaded so it will take some getting out, probably a lot of heat on the spring shackle bracket and something like a large ezy out to remove it.

If the shackle is out I take it someone must have cut it in half as these can't be removed without the bushing being removed so do you need a shackle as well?

I may have some good used shackle bushes and at least 1 shackle, also a pair of O/S shackle bushes which would need the bracket thread to be enlarged to enable them to be used - this would be a job for a machine shop and would probably involve removing the shackle brackets from the frame.

What model is your car and where are you in NZ?

Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)

Hi Stuart

Many thanks, for your reply, at this busy time of year. Regarding my shackle, it is still inside the frame. The other three came out fine, and the threads look to be in pretty good condition, as this car did only 77,000 miles since new. Unfortunately, the one broke off, fairly close to the hex head, with the grease nipple, so that most of the thread is still in the chassis, with the shackle still screwed into the bushing. I can move the shackle a little, back & forth, but off course it hits the chassis, & can't be screwed out.

I am in Christchurch, in the South Island of NZ, and it's a Series 40 1935. One engineering shop, that I spoke to here, suggested heating the shackle, to bend it, at right angles, from its present position, to enable extraction, but a couple of 'old-car-guys', advised me against that action. In any case, without a replacement, for the bushing, I'd be worse off, than I am now. A fellow Buick owner in Wellington, apparently had a new one fabricated from new, some years back, so that may be a possibility.

I would be very interested, in the chance, that you may have a spare shackle, because, that would at least allow me to ruin this one, getting it out.

My e-mail address is k_c_oconnor@xtra.co.nz , if you would prefer to email me.

Thanks for your help, by the way, I have admired some of your gorgeous cars, on the Buick Australia site.

Regards

Kevin O'Connor