intake manifold gasket

Guest barra

My 1988 with 106,000 miles seems to have a leaky intake manifold gasket. The technician said that engine oil was in the coolant tank and I sometimes have a coolant odor inside the car while driving, especially after starting. How serious could this be for safe driving and how soon should I have the gasket replaced?

Guest mongeonman

Daniel is on the money about the changing the gasket as soon as possible,i changed it on my 2 Reattas last month as preventive maintenance,i took my time an it took about 8 hours of work each,also cleaned the throttle body and iac while it was off the motor,both cars run better now,.

The intake gasket was replaced. It had been leaking coolant onto the serpentine belt which caused squealing in the 40-50 mph range. The one aspect I have noticed is that the transmission is upshifting and downshifting and changing gears with a noticeable response. The transmission pan gasket also needed replacing as it was leaking too. Is this now a "closed" system and are the transmission inputs the result of the repairs?