Wanted 32 Transmission parts and 19" split ring

tbirdman

I believe they are different. I bought a whole box of parts for supposely a 4 speed 32 packard transmission off of Ebay only to find out that they were from an earlier year. Of course the sller won't give me a refund 6 months later although he sold me mislabeled parts. I believe a 32 4 speed transmission is one year only.

Hi,,From memory,,,There were 2 different set of gears,,30,,,31,,,the 31 was a close'r ratio,,,The 32 was either 3 or 4 speed BUT IT WAS A 4 SPEED SYNCHRO,,,and can be spotted by a forked lever,,,pivoting on a ball in central part of lever,,,,,the older boxs had a shaft going across w/2 vertical arms to push the throwout back and forth,,,,,,,If ya take the gear lever out ,,,ya can oil the throut oil pot down through the hole,,,[never did trust the Bijur,]],,I do have a spare 32-4speed[condition,,,bad as they get]]],,oh yeh,,,alloy case,, Does anyone know if the 29 -3 speed gears fit any other years,,,SWEEEET sound,,,Cheers,,Ben in Maine

Ken

I wonder if there is any difference in the case? If the cases were the same, would a complete earlier gearbox be an option?

West,

I believe no. Regarding a 4 speed from 32 fitting later models it will, but only a 4 speed from 32 will fit a 32. I could be wrong, but that is what I remember. 4 speeds for the 32s are desired as collectors like the whine of the trans vs the quieter 3 speed. I had plenty of 3 speed owners asking me to swap, before I realized this.

I spoke with George from Olcar bearings. He knows his stuff. I gave him the part number for a bearing I had acquired off of ebay and he knew right away it was correct. He's going to supply the front bearing. He asked me to have the transmission shop call him as both bearings need snap rings to enable the synchros to work properly. We going to make a new cluster shaft and the detents.