1956 Buick Special

Guest johnnywolf66

Guest johnnywolf66

I'm having a nightmare of a problem with the steering on my 56 Buick special. The car wanders all over the road. I've completely rebuilt the front end, adjusted all of the lash out of the steering gear, had it aligned twice, and even replaced all 4 coil springs. I'm running Coker radials, but this shouldn't have much effect. The steering wheel only has about 1" to 1-1/2" of play in it. Anybody else have any experience with this? Any ideas?

Just a wild thought. Have you checked the rear end? Buicks of that age have a coil sprung, torque tube drive. The only thing holding the rear end from moving sideways is a track rod with rubber bushings at the end. If the rubber bushings are shot it could allow the rear end to sway back and forth, resulting in strange steering.

I don't know if this is possible or not but it can't hurt to look.

Guest mmikemitchell

You need to be sure the alignment shop is checking the rear wheels with the front. If the car isn't tracking it will never go straight. What Rusty_OToole says was a good idea too. Your radials will not track like the bias ply tires did, but that is usually compensated by the driver getting used to them.

Mike

Rebuilt Carburetors Auto and Marine at Discount Prices

Guest johnnywolf66
The alignment of the front wheels to the back that Mike is talking about is called thrust angle

Thanks Rusty and Larry....I'm going to take it to a different alignment shop after Thanksgiving. I'll keep you posted.