hard top stuck on car

wild bill

Trying to help someone else. Their hard top will come up about one inch in back. Front latches are off. Cycled thru to remove several times. Had 3 people trying. Tried moving top several directions and normal level way. Wouldn't release fully. any ideas????

thanks

Guest mtworkshop

Sounds like the plastic case on the top release motor has cracked. It seems silly to ask if you have tried to release the top with the manual release inside the trunk. So I won't ask.

Mike

The rear latch has a cycle. It seems you are releasing the tight latch position; but not the final release. You may have to release fully from the emergency manual release in the trunk.. .....Also Try.......

When the top releases from the tight lock down position, and it has that space try to push down on the top to release pressure on the larches so they may unhook & spring open completely. Good Luck, Lou

Guest My TC Toy

Wild Bill,

Sometimes the most obvious causes us the most problems. To operate the manual release- you will find a small hole in the rear centre of the trunk (up against the top storage area), use the lug wrench or a 3/4" socket on an extension and turn the nut behind the covering counterclockwise. This will release the locking mecanism.

If you need a case for the pull down, I got one last year fron 1AAuto.

Good luck.

Bob

This info is for Joe in Co Springs. I told him about the manual release, he was aware of that. I will tell him to try the push down and lift method. He was an aircraft mechanic so pretty handy with the mechanical, I know how to drive thru the car wash. Thanks for the help. One it's 15 inches of snow then two days later, a week ago Sunday it's 70. Now it's top down weather for a few days. Joe's third light isn't working either. Thats what he wants to fix.

Guest My TC Toy

Some members suggest to gently pry off the red lens to get access to the bulbs. I'm a little more conservative and this method will not allow you to fix the most likely problem, wiring connections.. I would first suggest to check power to the light by checking at the connector in the top storage area. Have someone push the brake, with the key 'on'. If that's OK, the problem is most likely in the connections in the light.

Just below the light, at each end, you will find two screws above the rubber gasket, remove them. With the light out take it apart. What you should do is to clean and solder both wiring connections to the metal bars, they are nutorious for loosing connection. Next clean all bulb connections with a light grit sandpaper and alcohol, also lubricate the connections with a little di-electric grease. Check each bulb and clean the contacts before pushing in place. Reassemble in reverse order.

Good luck.

Bob