Level Control

sosuzguy

Back in Feb I finally found a company that was rebuilding the elc compressors for many GM and Ford cars. Suspension"]http://www.suncoreindustries.com/"]Suspension, Air Suspension, Parts, Conversion, Kits, Air Ride, Airbags, Shocks, Coils, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Ford, Hummer, Range Rover, Lexus, Lincoln, Mercury, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Toyota - Suncore Industries. However they didn't rebuild the 79-85 systems, just the 95-99 and various other GM's from 86-current. After discussing with the Supervisor that the air dryer in these compressors for the Riv had a valving arrangement just for E-bodies that needed to maintain 15-20 psi at all times they agreed to rebuild it since, "they were all the same pretty much" according to the company. The valving arrangement is just a couple of springs and a rubber flap like a check valve that is inside the dryer on the system. I have finally got around to getting this rebuilt compressor on the car. I've also built myself an ELC tester very similar to the ones the service manual says to use (pictured) Now I've found that the rebuilt compressor is leaking down after about two hours. There were a few hicups during this rebuild process with the company Rep finally saying they were not going to rebuild these anymore for the 79-85 models!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get these compressors rebuilt where they don't leak down? I'm suprised more people aren't having trouble with these.

Is there any other company out there that maybe I don't know about that would consider rebuilding these? Since our 79-85's are getting some collector attention I'm sure the need for these will be more in demand, not to mention it's the same compressors used for Eldo and Toro of this vintage.

Sorry but manually adding air to the system is not something I'm interested in doing. Pictured is the tester I made for these systems. Mine is permantely mounted for the time being.

Anyone have any ideas of maybe companies to go to, to try and get them to consider a rebuilding program on these? So far no one rebuilds any of these for the Big Buicks, Oldsmobiles or Cadillacs!

post-48336-143138129355_thumb.jpg

I don't know if they work on those, but you could ask D+M Restorations in South Carolina: Car Clock Repair, Gauge Repair, Speedometer Repair | D&M Restoration or USA PArts: USA Parts Supply.

My Dad said that the problem he always encounterd with air leveling was the bags would leak. Then the car would go down on its axles and he couldn't tow it. My rebuilt A/C compressor leaks, and that can be frustrating. Perhaps as a compressor, you could ask Classic Air if they do them: Classic Auto Air - Air Conditioning & Heating for 70’s & Older Cars & Trucks..

Just some thoughts.