Tranny info needed

Guest tobruk

My 1991 TC transmission is stuck in second gear, happend as I started away from a traffic light. No warning lights are on. Transmission shop just said I needed a rebuilt replacement. fluid is clear and no burn smell .

question will other Chrysler trannies work and if so whitch ones, or has anyone had the same problem, what was your fix?

thanks tobruk710@sbcglobal.net

Hi,

Major problem. A604 electronic 4 speed o'drive trans, When the electronic control (called TCM) recognises a problem it sends the trans into "Limp Mode" means limp home. it is a 2nd gear only mode. The TC has a seperate computer for the trans. it is on the inside right (passenger) front fender near the front headlight area. There is a blue test plug at the fuse panel in the dash. Try your local chrysler dealer. try your local Transmission shop. If they have a computer reader they should be able to diagnose the problem. ! bit more info the fault code will dissapearas soon as you turn off the key. set it up that they will check it out as soon as you arrive. Good Luck, Lou

Thank you Lou, The books that came with the car I put away to keep them clean and safe. I know there was a separate thin one all about transmission`, in my old age I forget things-- where they are I can't remember.

Lou since you guys helped me with my brake problem all of that is new and since then I have replaced shocks ,struts on all four wheels. I don't want to sell it however rather than let it just sit ; in the last two years I've driven it just about 60 miles I was looking forward to showing up at one of the get togethers some time.

Thanks again Lou and you to Bill.

tobruk in Canton Ohio

OK, that's the problem..... The 604 and the modern 41 TE are basically the same tranmissions. They were considered by many as very troublesome units. The electronic controls are so that they can compensate for individual driving styles. ~ BUT ~ they like to be driven The electronic controls need constant input. they are a totalcompensating control but if they do not get any input they do not know what to control and I think it drives them crazy. and do not know what to do. Therefore they have faults. They are really at their worst when not being driven.

Some of the best explainations of these trans units will be found at: Chrysler, Plymouth, and Dodge four-speed automatic transmission repairs Did you ever change or add trans fluid.?? That is a major question. These transmissions reall will only work with Chrysler +3 auto fluid (old stuff) or Chrysler +4 (modern stuff)

Good luck, Lou

Guest d_voitel

I had the same problem with the tranny going into "limp mode." I found the more I drove the car, the better it was. Lou is right on the button. I know that I'll have the symptoms the next time I drive the car. Just pull off to the side of the road, turn the car off for about 30 seconds, start the car back up and drive away. The best thing one can do for a car with this transmission is to drive it...regularly.