Cannot enter diagnostic mode

hinspect

I have looked for a similar thread on this but have not found one yet. Upon trying to enter the diagnostic mode the display just flashes off and on about every second. It does not seem to want to lock into diagnostic mode. I got it to work a couple of times but now is very intermittent. Any ideas anyone?

Terry Jones 1990 Buick Reatta Lenoir City, TN

All climate controls seem to work fine, just the air conditioner compressor relay won't kick in. That is what got all this started. When I was able to go into diagnostic mode I forced it into the "on" position and it would just chatter (the A/C relay). Now that the diagnostic mode won't enter I can't work with it to find out the relay problem. I have already installed 2 different ECM's. The Reatta only has less than 50,00 miles on it If I could get back into diagnostics maybe I could get more clues. For now I am beginning to think it is a classic "Lemon".

The flow chart in the factory repair manual says to replace the ECC head for the diagnostics problem. At the tune of around $50.00 on Ebay (which I don't trust anyway) I hate to go that route.

Terry Jones 1990 Buick Reatta Lenoir City, TN

Guest wally888

Same w/ a 91 coupe my dau. now has.

The only other glitch is the trip odometer. The problems seem to be correlated as when one works so does the other.

Accessing diagnostics is very intermittant and the trip odometer resets to zero when cleared, sometimes resets but does not work (stays zero) while driving. Then when parked/eng. turned off, when restarted reads mileage before being reset the last time.