Difference: 88 - Super 88 1957

Guest christl

Cosmetically, the 88s had no front fender namplates. Super 88s had Super 88 nameplates on the front fenders. At the back, 88s have plain tail light lenses, plain panels below the tail lights, and plain bumper ends (unless it has optional dual exhaust). Super 88S have tri-bar ornaments on the tail light lenses, stainless panels below the tail lights, and bumper ends with fake exhaust ports in them.

88 interiors are not as fancy as Super 88 interiors, differences vary by model.

Mechanically, they are the same.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Post-model two and four door sedans were available in both 88 lines. I believe the rarest '57 they built was a Super 88 2-door sedan.

I consulted a sales brochure before posting - it shows a Quadri-Jet as standard across the line. No mention of duals. I was pretty sure duals were standard on the Super, optional on the base 88, but couldn't back it up. I also think I was wrong on the louvered bumper ends. I knew a guy with a base 88 that had them. People always told him they were wrong. He said they came with the dual exhaust option. I now wonder if that is correct. I've seen other dual exhaust cars that didn't have them. I now think they were a 98 only thing.

1957 Oldsmobile-16.jpg

Paul