Using a transmission sealer - (Good/Bad)?

our51super

Greetings,<P>I know that the proper way to seal a transmission is to change the seals/gaskets. I was wondering however if anyone has used these transmission sealers which claim to restore the seals and stop the leaks. I have replaced the pan gasket on our '51 but the front and rear seals leak somewhat and it would be nice if I can find a "thrifty" solution. Any experiences that you've had would be of great help.<P>Thank you,<P>------------------<BR>Crin & Teresa Dima<BR>BCA # 37114

Those sealers advertised will buy you a little time on obvious repairs. The sealers swell seals to stop leaks. O-rings will leak and fail. I've rebuilt automatic transmissions, including Dynaflows. A common area of leakage is the oil pan & the torque ball on the rear of transmission.The ball becomes loose and acts as a pump. This can be repaired by rolling the rear axle out and adjusting the ball by removing shims,replacing spline seal too. Now if the front pump is leaking, transmission oil leaking from bell housing, you will have to remove transmission to repair, good time to overhaul.If cars has set for a long time, you will be better off to reseal (replace all seals, or overhaul unit and be done with the headaches!) Hope this helps, if you need further info feel free to ask. P.S. Check your hoses to your oil cooler.

Fred, when you take the torque ball assy off the back of transmission, ( held on by 6 bolts) you will find adjusting shims there between the trans and torque ball.The shims thickness are indicated by notches. If you care to E-mail me at steinson@roanoke.inf.net I can explain how to adjust and repair leaks. Hope this helps.

crin&teresa,<BR>Some of the members in theChicagoland Chapter have had success on their '50 Buicks with trans. fluid from Farm&Fleet.Stopped leaks they say. Also no harm done to trans. or driveability.<BR>f.tarpey BCA 6209 smile.gif

• 1 month later...

if the front trans seal is leaking and not torn, MOTOR PURR will swell the seal and will not leak again for a long time, it is also good for other o rings and other rubber parts like o ring servo.

I'd say the Lucas is the best bet. Their engine stablizer quieted several clicking lifters on a 53 Cadillac I had and their power steering stop leak did the trick on another