Instrument Bezel Attaching Parts

Guest lt1larry

Guest lt1larry

So, I pulled my instrument bezel off to see if I could do something about the shrinking leather, and found empty holes where it appears there should be some inserts for attachment and guide pins. The attached picture highlights those holes. From the tabs on the bezel, it looks like the outboard holes should have some sort of recepticle for a square clip and the inboard ones a round bushing to accept about a 1/4" rubber pin. Does anyone have any ideas on where I can get the right parts or how to fabricate something that will work?

As always, I appreciate the help.

Larry

1990 TC: V6, Auto, Triple-Black

1971 Corvette LT-1

1993 Jaguar XJ6 VDP

post-64005-143138116035_thumb.jpg

Guest My TC Toy

Larry,

I have had by bezel off and I don't remember any attachments, other than the holes to accept the bezel pins. It would not surprise me at all if what you have is similar to what we all have. If you did anything with the dash panel you know it is somewhat of a rats nest and defies ligic how it was constructed, except for an Italian. (Sorry!)

As far as the shrinking leather, I glued on small pieces of leather at the pin locations and did by best to stretch and reattach the rest of it along the front face. Thankfully it is in a location you do not notice too much. Mine is a black interior, so you do not notice it.

Best of luck!

Edited by My TC Toy (see edit history)

Guest lt1larry

That's really strange. The outboard protrusions on the bezel are clearly designed to snap into a keeper of some kind, and the inner pins have a rubber sleeve that looks like it would slip nicely into a positioning bushing. However, the holes are far too large for either of those to work without an insert of some kind. It is clear to me from other evidence that a previous owner had the dash apart, and I just suspected he left those parts out. Maybe our friends in Italy had a shortage.

Anyone else been behind the instrument bezel that can enlighten us???

Thanks.

Larry

1971 Corvette LT-1

1993 Jaguar XJ6 VDP

I just had the same experience and those holes are large and sloppy because that cluster cover is a PITA to get back in,at least in my experience. Once out I could see how badly the shrinkage was.Whatever the material that cowl was molded in,some sort of rigid foam I think,had curled up at the back edge and distorted. Gluing the leather back down would leave it sunken in and even crappier looking so I trimmed the raised edges flush and sanded them for consistant profile.After removing the dried up foam padding along the back edge I added a full length strip of 1/8" thick by 1 1/2" wide upholsterers foam from a fabric store and tucked it under the leather to give it "body" and restore the thin padding that deteriorated.

After gluing the leather back down I am left with two circular voids which went around the locator pins before the leather shrank. To cover this, because I know it there,I will have an upholsterer make a 1" wide strip of leather with a rolled and stitched front edge and glue it to the back edge top side of the cluster cover for a finished look "WHEW",any questions?

Guest lt1larry

Thanks, guys. The more I get into this thing, the more I wonder about Maserati's highly touted ability to provide first-class detail in interior finishing.

u571 - My plan is to do essentially what you have done, but the leather along the edge where the circular cutouts are is very stiff. Not sure I can glue it down very successfully. Is there a way to soften it up? What kind of glue did you use?

One thing I am going to do: The leather on the long cover strip over the right side of the dash has also shrunk, so I am thinking about taking it off and using it as the material for the strip to cover the shrinkage on the instrument bezel. Then I'll get something new to recover the long cover strip.

Lotsa fun keeping old timers running and looking good, huh?

Larry

1971 Corvette LT-1

1993 Jaguar XJ6 VDP

Hi Larry,

first scrape off old contact cement from leather using a utility knife blade and or 100 grit sandpaper.next wet the back suede side with a sponge and let the water soak in.work the leather edge by pulling and massaging it a bit until it flattens out.do this only at the back 1 inch or less so as not to distort the areas that will be visible .after the leather dries a bit I use zymol leather conditioner on the outer smooth face,do not get on the glue surface areas.I got at target for 7 bucks and it works as well as another very expensive labor intensive brand whos name I wont mention and smells funky.

I use industrial type super glue(cyano acrylate) in a gel consistency in conjunction with a spray accelerator.you can also use brushable contact cement.For CA glue spray on back of leather,2or 3 shots on a 2 inch or so area, use a card to protect glue surface from accelerator,apply a bead of glue to underside edge of cowl and roll leather pulling straight and taut. Of course dont glue yourself...the accelerant makes it stick in 5 seconds.Do a section at a time and plan your steps.any good hobby shop sells this glue.DO NOT use thin consistency.I have good luck with this glue on leather in harsh arizona auto conditions.Remember this is a rigid glue when set so not good for all situations.

For the long strip,scrape off dried foam,sand metal,use good spray contact cement like 3m.apply 1/8" foam,I use high density.Bond leather like on old piece and your done,always good to study original piece...goes without saying. I dont recommend using old leather for anything as its dry,stiff and not the best quality when new. Your call. If you buy leather or remnants try to find a somewhat thinner gauge as you are rolling the edges and you dont want the part to be too wide to fit and or remove in future.

Good luck.:cool:

Guest lt1larry

u571 - Sounds like you've done this before!!!

Thanks for the great advice.

Larry

1971 Corvette LT-1

1993 Jaguar XJ6 VDP