More '50 Brake stuff Help - This time its the lines

Gary_N

Well, as usual, and since I'm in a hurry to get ready for Hershey, more issues have popped up. I bought new brake lines from Classic Tube (actually made from a pattern for a '50 Super Conv. I didn't think that would make any difference), and new brake hoses (3 - 2 fronts and 1 for the rear junction block).

So, I start fitting the new lines to find the fronts are too small and the line from the brake switch back is also too small. Here's how Yoda is configured:

The front lines from the brake switch to the front wheels are larger in diameter than the rear wheel lines from the rear wheels to the rear junction block. The line from the brake switch back to the junction block is the same size as the front wheel lines. The 3rd rubber hose connects this line to junction block. The lines from the junction block back to the rear wheels are much smaller that the front lines.

The lines I bought are the same size for the front wheels; rear wheels and line from the brake switch to the junction block. The I/D of the new lines look almost 1/2 the size of the original lines. This has to be an error by Classic Tube. I hope.

So, I've had to reuse the old lines. Actually they look good; just a little brake clean and some compressed air. But, now I find that the end fitting for the new hose from the junction block is too small for the line running from the brake swtch back to the junction block. The flare is larger than the hose end female fitting. Of course the new line fits the hose. But it's too small to fit to the brake switch.

So on to the questions; Is this the way the lines are configured on your cars? Has anyone bought the rubber hoses before and found the same issue with the third hose that I'm having?

My 'original' line running from the brake switch back is in two sections. A long section from the brake switch back and then a short section coupled together. The short section is not much more that 12 inches long. Since the lines sizes in the rear are smaller, if I could figure out some way to 'step down' the size of the short section so it will fit into the third hose will that cause brake issues? I guess I could reuse the old hose but it looks unsafe to me.

Aside from all the calls I'll be making today and advice I will no doubt get, I would appreciate your comments.

Thanks!

Gary

Hi Gary.

Sounds like mine. I did not notice the different size lines, but probably are. I took all my lines to a local brake shop. This is a brake and gear shop that does all , up to big trucks. They made them to match the old ones. My hoses came from CARS. I did reuse the front lines as they were not rusty.

Ben

I've been told that the hose issue is because I have an early '50. meaning lots of '49 style parts. Seems the '49 hose is a little bigger on the female end. And shorter. I was wondering why my new hose was so long. So, maybe I've corrected the problem?? We'll see.

Gary