Breeze H3 Carburetor questions...

Tom400CFI

I have a 1910 Hupp with the Breeze H3 carb. I have extensive experience w/modern carbs, but this one operates differently so here are my questions:

1. There is only 1 "circuit". It apprears that the discharge nozzle is drawn upon more by vacuum than the venuri effect; the venturi is a choke point in the inlet path, which as you open the throttle, would create a vacuum in the bore, above the nozzle. It appears that as you open the throttle, the nozzle/venturi becomes a restriction and that is when the spring "air valve" opens, allowing more air flow to the engine, and also preventing a over-rich condition from too much vacuum after the nozzle. The fuel mix is a balancing act between the float height, mixture screw, and air valve. Is this summary correct?

2. If so, the mixture screw would have a greater effect on low throttle setting mix, and the air valve on large throttle openings/higher RPM. Right?

3. No matter what, due to this carb design, there will always be a vacuum in the intake of the engine; the carb is always a (significant) restriction.

4. Float height. What is the spec? How sensative is the carb to changes in float height? Right now, the fuel is ALMOST, "spilling" out of the nozzle, w/the fuel at its set float height. That seems high to me.

Thanks for reading.

-Tom

Edited by Tom400CFI (see edit history)