How Do I Bend Sheet Metal in a Cylinder?

Guest Paterson Chris

Guest Paterson Chris

Can anyone think of some sort of dodge that will enable me to bend an approximately 2' length of sheet metal into the shape of an approximately 6" diameter tube -- without a long drive to a sheet metal shop? I live in a very remote area. Sheet metal guys would just put it through some rollers and it's done in a minute or two. Is there some home-made dodge that would enable me to do the same?

I'm asking because, what appears to be the original muffler on my '20s car seems to be made in such a way that it can be taken apart and rebuilt. Both ends are cast steel and the whole assembly seems to be held together with what I'm guessing (can't confirm till it's apart) are long through-bolts. Externally, everything looks okay except for the sheet metal cylindrical housing which is starting to rust/ blow through. I want to take it apart -- if only to satisfy my curiosity -- and make a new piece of sheet metal, weld the seam, and, assuming no other repairs, bolt the same back together.

Chris

It technicaly would be called "rolling" the sheet into a cylinder. Depending on the thickness it can be difficult to do by hand and have it come out straight.

My suggestion would be to buy a length of stove pipe that you can use as is, or buy it a bit bigger and cut it length wise. The "roll" is already there for you..........Bob

Guest Paterson Chris

Oh. Okay...I see that there is a seam very much like that of stovepipe and it does appear to be of the same diameter, so I'll check that out.

Thanks --

Chris