can anyine identify this car by these parts?

Guest oldsmobile1915

Guest oldsmobile1915

A friend emailed me thinking that I may know what this car is by showing me some candid photos of parts... I have no clue. Can anyone look at these photos and tell me what it may belong to???

sorry for the "anyone" typo in the heading and thanks in advance!

post-45023-143138111256_thumb.jpg

post-45023-14313811126_thumb.jpg

post-45023-143138111263_thumb.jpg

post-45023-143138111267_thumb.jpg

post-45023-143138111271_thumb.jpg

post-45023-143138111274_thumb.jpg

Edited by oldsmobile1915 (see edit history)

I would say it is teens Overland, but only numbers, particularly from the chassis frame which might include Type, would indicate exact age. Arthur Lang and I extraced one from a backyard in a south-central Queensland town in 1967at no cost, just minutes after I had gathered the information on its location from a local I was chatting to. Engine was Rutenber. There may have been more than one engine size.

Didn't Rutenber stop building engines before 1913 or so? I would say that the car is earlier than that. I do think that you are right on the posibility that it is Overland as the Studebaker trans axle looks different that the one pictured. Dandy Dave!

A big 6 cylinder Rutenber was used in some big mid-teens Auburns, according to Don Butler's ACD book. For the later detachable head 6 cyl that was used into the early 1920's the name could well have been Rottenber. They had diecast whitemetal crankshaft bearings. Australian Six in Sydney used some hundreds of these, which apparently compromised their financial viability when they needed rebuilding either on warranty or before sale. One engine I know had a casting defect which let cooling water into the sump. Some bush mechanic drilled a 1/2" hole between two valves into the bore, and sealed it with a bolt and lead washers. This turned the car into an Australian Five. The same engine was used by early Roamers; and I have a 1917 chassis frame which has engine mounts for one of these.

Guest Noel Adams

If the parts are all from the one car then it is most definately Overland and most probably 1915 Model 80 or 1916 Model 83. The bore of the cylinder block would measure 4 1/8 inches

All the best........Noel