1929 Dodge DA timing

Bob Zetnick

I was looking through the hole in the transmission case below the starter to the flywheel. There is a metal "arrow" that should point to a timing mark. I thought the mark should be an "X" like the timing chain sprockets. I do not find an "X", but do find 2 horizontal marks with what looks like "1-6" on the flywheel. I've looked at my instruction book, but can't find mention of the marks on the flywheel. Is the mark I found the timing mark and if so where should the rotor on the distributor be pointing? Thanks in advance.

The marks are often hard to see but it sounds like you have found them, your rotor should be pointing on the #1 plug when the arrow is lined up with the correct mark on your flywheel if its on the compression stroke, if its on the exhaust then it is 180 out. I will look at my stuff and try and find a spare flywheel to jog my memory on how the marks look and report back.

Here you go Bob, I was able to dig one out, if you run across spares I suggest buying them just for the ring gear as it is unavailable as far as I know otherwise, the six is 6 degrees before top dead center. Just stick your finger over the #1 plug hole after you remove the plug, have someone turn the motor over with the crank in the front until you feel the air pushing your finger off the hole, that will most likely be compression stroke on your #1 plug. Your rotor should be facing the #1 spark plug wire in whuch case technically could be any spark plug wire but there is usually 1 that is suggested and I just cant remember without looking it up which one it is. When you have the #1 piston on top dead center compression stroke your arrow on the rear engine support should be lined up with your zero bar on the flywheel. Hope I havent missed anything.

BTW the ring gears can supposedely be turned on the flywheel, as far as I know on most cars the ring gear always goes bad in the same three places, the rest of the gear is always fresh. Years ago people used to just turn them, I have heard everything from sticking them in a freezer overnight to heating them with a torch until they practically melt to get them off and reposition them. Maybe some of the old timers here can add something to this technique, I have not yet had the pleasure of doing this but I am curious what experiences others have had.

post-48869-143138107879_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1930
Because I have the memory of a very slow person (see edit history)

If I can jump in; yes you have the mark but No. 1 and 6 cylinders will always be at top dead centre together ( one on compression and the other on exhaust stroke ). What you need to determine for timing is when No. 1 is on compression stroke and perhaps the simplest way is to remove the spark plug, put your thumb over the hole and feel the compression as the No. 1 piston comes to the top - p.s. you need an assistant or long arms!!

Thanks guys; makes perfect sense now. As far as the stupid question thing there are times when I feel like "I've bitten off more than I can chew" with this project as far as my limited knowledge of auto mechanics goes. If it wasn't for the knowlege all the people on the boards here have been willing to share, I don't think I could have come this far along. So again, thanks!