Want to buy good 1938 DB engine

keiser31

My buddy has a rod knock in his 1938 Dodge Brothers engine and is looking to replace it. Has anyone out there got a good running to freshly rebuilt engine for this car? He lives in Yuba City, California and prefers something on the west coast, but is not limited to the west coast. Please contact me at (541)535-1890 or email at keiser31@charter.net or private message me here. Thanks so much in advance. John

Guest Backyardmechanic

Hello John,

Why not rebuilt the engine that is in the car.Chances are you may not get any engine better then you have now.I know the engine blew a rod and this was quite common on the early 6 cylinder flat head.The crankshaft could be turn down for les then $200.00 bearings are avaibile If one bearing jounal will not clear up along with the others One can have that jounal built up to match the other journals.

By dong a rebuilt one knows what he has and it should last a life time.

Vern

Vern...if it was me, I would take the rebuild idea and run with it, but the guy who wants the engine is not me and may not be inspired or equipped to rebuild his original. Thanks for the tip, though. John

Guest Backyardmechanic

John,

That could be.Have you ever knowest a lot of guys will spent a few K on a paint job but nothing or very little on the engine.

Vern.

John,

Have your friend drop the pan, and the rod and check the crank for damage. If it's OK, put in new rod bearings and go. While you've got the pan off, check the oil pump and pickup screen. You might be able to get it back together pretty easily. I have one I did that to, and it's (so far) running fine, and now has good oil pressure.

David D. (In Oroville CA)

BTW, Huss Bros. should be able to get the bearings--although my "quickie" job was about 10 years ago.