1997 Riv fuel door won't open

Guest oribiasi

Guest oribiasi

Hey all,

I cannot open my fuel door on my 1997 Riviera by using the button located on the door panel. I have to use the emergency lever in the trunk.

Any suggestions/solutions/parts?

Thanks. I'm new to the forums, so I hope I posted this in the right spot.

Hi. I have seen this problem typically caused by a bad solenoid/latch assembly located right at the gas cap. Open the cap manually....then, it will be easy to remove the solenoid/latch assembly. After you have it out, check for 12v at the connector when someone pushes the gas cap release button. This will verify that your solenoid/latch assembly is the culprit. This unit is not servicable, so you will be off to your Buick dealer for a replacement. They aren't crazy expensive. Good luck. John in Wisconsin

Guest oribiasi

Thanks JollyJon. I am going to check it tonight; if indeed thats the problem I am grateful!

I also suspected it could be the (1) switch itself, in the driver's side door or (2) the relay.

I will check what you suggested first, though. Thanks!

Guest oribiasi

Hey all who read/responded: Turned out that this was just a wire that was cut in the door. Figures. I added an extension of wire, soldered it, and voila! It works. :)