1930 733 "club" sedan frankencar

tfee

Just had this car delivered yesterday, it's whats left of a 1930 733 7 passenger sedan. The car must have been in an accident many years ago and then converted in to a club sedan however the conversion was only started and the work completed doesn't meet my standards. The rear fenders have been welded back together from pieces and are not centered correctly on the wheels and the rear of the car has been shortened too much. The car also appears to be riding too high in the rear. Do any of you have have pictures of what a club sedan is supposed to look like? I need pics of the fenders, bumpers trunk rack and fuel tank area so that I can get mine back in shape.

This is what I'm starting with:

632-passenger-side.jpg

637-driver-side.jpg

642-passenger-side-rear.jpg

640-drivers-side-rear.jpg

651-rear.jpg

636-above.jpg

The front of the car has been abused as well, the apron under the grill has been crunched up and the bumper brackets have been flame cut off the frame. I don't know what this area is supposed to look like so any pics of this area would be appreciated as well.

633-front.jpg

646-passenger-side-front.jpg

647-drivers-side-front.jpg

The engine compartment is dirty but it all looks like it's there:

653-engine-drivers-side.jpg

Any help appreciated. I am sure I will be looking for new rear fenders to start with.

Thanks in advance

Todd

Guest StrombergEE3

looks to me like two wrecks were cobbled up to make one complete car. The chassis is from the longer wheel-base limos. You are not going to find fenders to fit that thing - at least not to my knowledge, as Packard never made a car like this.

My recommendation is you do some hard thinking as to what you expect from a collector car of this era. Restoration costs get higher every year, just look, for example, the increasing EPA regs. governing so many aspects of restoration.

I have not kept up with current values of big classic sedans. I suspect there are a lot on the market that would give you a good choice of serviceable cars ( for "discount" prices that would be far lower than trying to make something out of what you have).

It is so tempting, even hypnotizing, once you come into possession of a hulk like that, to fantasize over what a great car it would make when complete. A hard dispassionate view of the realities of car restoration today, might help you think harder about your choices.

Good luck !

The car sits on a 134.5" wheelbase chassis which is spec for the 733 7p sedan and club sedan. You are correct though, Packard never made a car like this, it's just plain ugly at the moment. I do think the rear can be redone in a club sedan fashion to make it pleasing again however I don't think it would be economical to try and make it spot on. It may even be considered dishonest to try and pass it off as anything other than a frankenpackard. Perhaps it should be parted out but I think I will try and do something a bit different with it first.

Guest StrombergEE3
The car sits on a 134.5" wheelbase chassis which is spec for the 733 7p sedan and club sedan. You are correct though, Packard never made a car like this, it's just plain ugly at the moment. I do think the rear can be redone in a club sedan fashion to make it pleasing again however I don't think it would be economical to try and make it spot on. It may even be considered dishonest to try and pass it off as anything other than a frankenpackard. Perhaps it should be parted out but I think I will try and do something a bit different with it first.

= = = =

Wrong. I do not think that is the chassis for a 733 club sedan. Too long. Something is WAAAY off.

See if you can find photos taken from the rear of a real 733 club sedan. You will see the difference in where the rear of the body should line up with the fenders ( and how different it is from what you have ) .

I agree that it looks way off but I'm an engineer so you should't doubt my ability to measure the distance between two wheels. According to PackardInfo.com - General Site News - New Part Cross Reference Database Added - Packard Articles the 733 standard 8 sedan and 733 club sedan both ride on the same 134.5" wheelbase. It looks off because the sedan has had it's rear side windows removed and then had the back of the car shortened by 2 and a half feet. A real club sedan isn't even this short. Maybe club sedans had longer side windows? I don't know.

Guest StrombergEE3

I apologize - you are right - I was wrong. I wasn't being observant. As you note, what makes it look so wierd is the butchering of the rear of the body behind the doors.

Your assumption is also correct about Packard doors. There were two different front doors, and two different back doors on the closed cars, depending on body style ( and that practice continued clear to the end of "big" Packard production in 1939).

If you look closely at a "legit" club sedan, it has the "limo" or long rear door, and a short front door. Yours appears to have both the "long" doors. Standard five passenger & formal sedans had the "short" rear door and the "long" front door.

Sad to say, my initial impression is probably correct - in that whatever that thing is, if you want an enjoyable collector car, you'd save a fortune by just looking for a serviceable one on the open market.

As a side-note, looks like the typical "thrown rod patch" on the side of the crank-case. Sad to say "tossing a rod" thru the side of the crank-case wasn't that unusual on pre "insert" rod bearing Packard eight cylinder cars (meaning prior to 1935 production). The bad news is, until you open the engine up, you dont know what quality repairs were done.

Hate to be the "bearer of bad news", but that's how I see it.

Good luck !

Stromberg, I checked the engine block, it's solid with no repairs, the discoloration in the photos is simply the only clean patch in the engine compartment. I'll fill you in on the internals when I get to them.

I believe it IS a 733 chassis based on wb measurement and engine #. Stromberg's advice is valid re cheaper to start with a better car but it would be a shame to see this one scrapped or parted out. I think I would look for a usable body and make it a driver, or at least preserve it for a better day.