Save this rare car!

Guest 40series

Guest 40series

I do not have pics right now but i will give a good description and you can give me your feedback.

1966 Electra 225 2 door hardtop. Orihnal blue with white interior. Power everything and A/C! 67K on the odometer. parked in 1982 after being hit in the driver rear corner. Damage mostly to bumper and tailight lense. Minor damge to quarter panel. White interior is very good conditon. headliner and carpet will need replaced. Paint has been faded to the primer from the sun. Dry climate so no rust. Skirts and hubcaps are all present. Buick production was 4700 units. Car runs and drives. I think 3500 is fair. What do you think? Should I just part it out?

Price is not reasonable due to 1. desirability and 2. condition to bring to #2+ or #3 driving condition. To get it to a nice reliable cruiser you need body work, paint, some interior work, brakes will need "gone through" engine, transmission etc will need flushed, carb probably rebuilt, tank cleaned.

It has good bones but isn't a deisrable 2 door model. I must admit it's been about 3 months since I know of another 66 Electra 2 door hardtop for sale. James White is advertising a nice 66 Wildcat 2 door hardtop for sale with photos for $2500 obo and I'll bet he still has his car for sale. I can find 69-73 Electra 2 door hardtops all day long for $750 to $1500 tops in running , straight nice paint, nice interior condition.

On the one hand this gets people into old cars inexpensively. I would not give more then $1000 for your car. I don't think it's worth much as a parts car. Please understand I am not saying it's not a great car. I have owned several 64 to 73 fullsize Buicks - I love them, but realistically $3500 should buy a persona a car that has no pressing concerns as far as showing up at shows as a non judged car, as far as being able to just enjoy it as a survivor.

Guest 40series

I appreciate the feedback. It is true that rare does not mean valuable. The sad thing is that the motor, trans and brake drums are valuable to hot rodders and that is probably what will happen to this car. I would be foolish to sell it for less than what I can get for these parts but I will try to keep it whole and save it's life.

Guest THEHKP7M13
...The sad thing is that the motor, trans and brake drums are valuable to hot rodders and that is probably what will happen to this car...

Not to crap all over your thread but I am pulling the debate card on that. If they were perfect and already gone threw you might have some validity. Basically what your selling as parts at this part is rebuildable cores and thats about it. Most hot rodders are Chevy or Ford guys and a majority of their stuff is not factory anyway. Anyone serious into hot rodding is not buying a factory block.

There are a lot of Nailheads being built for hot rods as an alternative to SBC motors. There is a nice build up article in the Riviera Forum now that came straight off a HOT RODDERS website.

They are compact motors with tons of torque - a recipe that is just right for rodders, plus the 66 would have the TH400 - the bullet proof transmission AND the aluminum finned brake drums also are favored by rodders so - yes - I agree this car could be parted out for $1000 easy.

But then so could so many 4 door hardtop Electras still in boneyard across the country.

For $3,500, I would expect that the car would be registered, I could test drive it, and conclude that the car would be mechanically sound. It might need tires, brakes, belts and other do-it-yourself repairs. The key word being minor.

As far as cosmetics. The paint as well as the chrome could be somewhat faded, but still presentable. There could be a rip on the drivers side seam (seat) and the drivers arm rest could be cracked, but the rest of the interior has to be presentable. It cannot look ratty. All the glass must be in tact. A few parking lot dings and an odd small scratch would be acceptable; however, I would not want to pay for any body work because the whole car would have to be painted.

That is what I would expect for a $3,500 66 Electra 2 dr hardtop.

From the June 2009 Old Cars Price Guide:

• #6 - $740
  • #5 - $2220
  • #4 - $3700
  • #3 - $8330
  • #2 - $12950
  • #1 - $18500

It is fair to say whether you would or would not pay that much for a car, but it doesn't seem outlandish considering the price for a #4 condition car.

The problem is that the cost of body work and paint to repair damage runs the cost up to getting it to be a nice driver. The other think is that with sitting for 25 years, there's a lot to go through mechanically to ensure the car is safe. Of course, for someone with the tools / ability, it may not be that bad.

You really don't see that many of these cars. Good luck in the sale. My personal preference would be to see it sold intact rather than parted, but it isn't my car. For the effort involved in parting a functional running car, I would think perhaps going over the brakes, fuel system, and a tune-up may help to sell it.

Guest 40series

I am going to keep it whole and get it mechanically sound. I will put a few hundred miles on it over the coming months to ensure this. I will replace the bumper and tailight lens as well as reapir the damge to the quarter panel. I have 25 years of restoration experience so I will not throw mud (bondo) at it. I will advertise it for sale then. Thank you for all the input. It has been very helpfull

I'm with you Derek (and 40series) I love these cars and do not want to see it parted. I am glad you have decided to keep it for now.

It's like a house that does not have curb appeal. Then you put some touch up into it and it sells for much higher.

The 65 upgrade (frame / geometry / interior ) and styling made these great cars. Think of the love it or hate it look of the stacked Cadillac headlights and grille work of an Olds of this era. Look at the odd-ness of the Mopars. The 66 Electra was smooth and the grille conservative and refined. I've seen them at Buick shows and always take a moment to look at them