1928 Studebaker Help

Guest dalestern

Guest dalestern

Hello all. I'm about to disassemble my '28 President "8" for restoration. Any info, or warnings that I should know before I take her apart and try to figure out things like: how to get the seats out (they seem nailed in) and how to lift the body after I remove the doors/hood/fenders. The drivetrain stays in since it seems almost perfect. I'll cover it well as I blast and paint the frame. Any one out there with a President, Commander, Dictator, that have done this before, and can give me any advise from their experience would be greatly appreciated. I have the service bulletins, and the parts book, but thats it. Thank you in advance. Dale

Dalestern@aol.com

Los Angeles, Ca. 90018

1928 1/2 President State Sedan 5 Pass

In addition to the Studebaker that I currently own, 1929 President Brougham, I previously owned a 1929 Commander and a 1928 1st Series President. There are a couple points of caution that I can give you as you embark on your ambitious project, first do not sand blast your frame unless you have completely stripped it down to a bare frame. If you have any components still attached you will never get the blasting material complete out and it will cause long term problems. Secondly, other than the doors and cowl Studebaker bodies are framed in wood. When you lift the body off the frame you can put stress on the body that may cause twisting that will damage the wood framing. When I got my first Studebaker in 1975 (the ’29 Commander) I worked in a Gulf gas station. The first thing I did was take the Commander to work one day and put it up on the stations lift to do an oil change and lube job. This was a mistake because it caused twisting of the body while it was in the air on the lift. After the car was back on the ground I was not able to open the doors. I learned my lesson to never put any of my old Studebakers on a lift that raises them up by the frame.

Guest dalestern

Thanks for that Mark. At present, my doors close as good as my neighbors 2009 Mercedes which upsets him. I'll have to be very careful lifting her off. Any tips on the best way to do it would be great. Also, I'll be sure to strip the frame of anything that can get screwed up in the blasting / cleaning / painting process. Thanks for that. Any shop books, photos, or anyplace to find them would be a help. Thanks, Dale

Dalestern@aol.com

Los Angeles, Ca. 90018

1928 1/2 President State Sedan 5 Pass

Meadow green/Granite grey