'61/'62 power windows

Oldsfan

I am polling '61 and '62 full size Buick owners with power windows. How do your windows operate? Are they always hot? I have a '62 Olds with a bad power window relay. The windows are designed to be operated only in the "run" or "accessory" positions of the ignition switch. Tried to find an interchangable relay in the Buick parts book, but didn't have any luck. I found an online wiring diagram that shows that Olds was the only one to use a relay. Looks like Buick power windows are "hot" all the time. Is that true?

Thanks,

Paul

Guest wildcat62

If I am understanding your question correctly, the Buick windows are always "hot". I have a 62 Wildcat with power windows. They will work even if the ignition is in the off position.

Yes, you understood correctly. That is what I wanted to know. Interesting. Apparently Olds was the only one to use a relay, which is great until the relay quits, then the windows don't work at all (and for some reason that is usually when they're down, and it's raining...). Replacements are hard to find/expensive, and now I know why - only Olds used them. I might have to make a permanent bypass.

Thanks,

Paul