Gutting an Air Box? In a Reatta 3800

Guest Road mister

Guest Road mister

I see this term used a lot, Im guessing you are increasing the air flow somehow. Are you altering a box or bypassing it? Does it help? any adverse issues? Best method?

• 2 weeks later...

If "air box" is where the air filter element is held, then bypassing it is not a good decision.

There should be a container where the filter element is secured. On the input side might be some sort of snorkle or duct to "outside air". Between the filter box and the intake manifold, there can be some "resonator" areas which are there to control induction noise under certain operating conditions. Removing them, or making a direct duct from the filter element location to the throttle body might make a little more power under WOT, but it would be negligible, I suspect. Don't forget that some air flow sensors are in that duct and they must be transferred to whatever you might replace it with.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not familiar with the Reatta's airbox setup, but on my 98 Riviera, similar to your 95, the air filter resides inside a large plastic airbox, which draws air in mostly from the fenderwell area thru a cutout. My airbox contained a couple of large plastic inserts designed to reduce engine noise to the cabin. They really make a mess out of airflow, if you ask me, and other 95-99 Riv owners. Removing those 2 pieces, one gray and one red, is what constitutes "gutting" the airbox on the Rivs. The IAT sensor is attached to the airbox housing and is not affected by gutting the box, on the Rivs anyway. Again, I don't know how the Reatta is set up. Gains are probably not significant in a stock or lightly modified SI or SII 3800. However, I have a certain appreciation for hearing a bit more from my engine when I choose to have a lead foot, so I've removed those pieces on my Riv. It's still very quiet, just not factory quiet.