Relining brakes

Erndog

:confused: After not having luck finding new brake shoes for my son's 1940 Oldsmobile, I bought a full set of brake shoe linings. I know that when I was young you could get your brake shoes relined just about anywhere. However, since buying these, I have discovered that is no longer the case. While I can find the occasional person many states away that I can send them to to be done, usually at great cost, I would like to find someone closer and more reasonable. Does anybody know of anyone in SE Virginia who still relines brakes? If not, where can I learn how to do it myself?

Thanks in advance.

Guest Gary Hearn

You need to contact Jeff Duty at Automotive Manufacturers here in Richmond. He has done brake shoes, disk brakes for tractors, relined clutches and rebuilt starters, generators, water pumps and carburetors for me over the years.

I believe he still picks up work from various parts houses in the state and delivers the finished product back to its point of origin. He can be reached at 804-321-6861 during business hours. You can tell him I sent you.

:DGary,

Thank you very much for the offer! However, I just got off the phone with Mr. Duty (didn't wait till I got back). He says he will sandblast the old shoes, drill linings (mine are glue-on and he only does riveted, which I like better anyway), and install them, no problem. All eight sets for approximately $45 total!! And he is only about 40 minutes away.

Thank you so much for the lead! :D:D

Ernie

Guest broker bob
:confused: After not having luck finding new brake shoes for my son's 1940 Oldsmobile, I bought a full set of brake shoe linings. I know that when I was young you could get your brake shoes relined just about anywhere. However, since buying these, I have discovered that is no longer the case. While I can find the occasional person many states away that I can send them to to be done, usually at great cost, I would like to find someone closer and more reasonable. Does anybody know of anyone in SE Virginia who still relines brakes? If not, where can I learn how to do it myself?

Thanks in advance.

E mail me there is a place here in NJ

• 3 weeks later...

Got the brakes relined by Jeff Duty at Automotive Manufacturers in Richmond, VA. Dropped them off Tuesday night. No work order, just a scribbled note in an old notebook. Picked them up Friday morning. Couldn't get there Thursday when they were done.

Nice shop! Dark and dirty, right out of the 40's. I like it!!

I supplied the linings, bought off eBay, and they did the rest. Someone had bonded incorrect lining onto the shoes. They were all the same length, which is incorrect. They blasted the shoes, drilled the linings for rivets, and properly installed them.

$50 out the door.

See before and after pictures. I wish I had taken better before pictures. They were truly ugly!:D

post-31976-14313810749_thumb.jpg

post-31976-143138107493_thumb.jpg

Guest Gary Hearn

Ernie,

I will be seeing Jeff next week and will let him know that you are a happy customer! He has been doing work for me for 20+ years and I have hauled a couple of the tractors that adorn the lot back for him. While you might not guess it, Jeff has over 750 skydiving jumps.

Gary

Guest Gary Hearn

I see she jumps from West Point, she is lucky she was not on that plane that crashed several years ago. I think Jeff does a lot of his jumping from Louisa.