Dynaflow rebuilder?

Guest lmrobil

Guest lmrobil

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have a recommendation for a competent Dynaflow rebuilder or service man in the Southern California area?

We're having troupble with a '55 Special, it barely moves in drive. It goes better in low but when shifting up to drive, it slips badly again. What do you think?

Thanks, Lance

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have a recommendation for a competent Dynaflow rebuilder or service man in the Southern California area?

We're having troupble with a '55 Special, it barely moves in drive. It goes better in low but when shifting up to drive, it slips badly again. What do you think?

Thanks, Lance

I would think there should be a competent rebuilder in SoCal area. The transmission is a very simple transmission in nature, but to get it out of the car is the main issue. The rear end must be partially removed from the vehicle in order to move the torque tube ball away from transmission and disengaging driveshaft. This extra labor may be expensive. I have seen various posts that have these transmission rebuilt anywhere from 1500 to 3000 dollars.

If it were me, I wouldn't hesitate to rebuild it myself, but then again I have rebuilt automatics before.

It sounds as if there is slippage in both DR and LO ranges, and probably in R. If they all slip then it sounds as if the front pump is going bad or the torque converter is shot. I would try a pressure test first to tell how bad the front pump is. If the line pressure is good, then it probably is the torque converter (if it slips in all ranges). If it only slips in DR, then it probably is the direct drive clutch pak, or seals around the annular piston that applies the clutch.

I have a 57 Dynaflow that is complete, but I can only let some of the parts go, as I am in the process of doing some adapters for other engines.:D:cool::rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest lmrobil

Thanks guys for the replies and info. We found Transmatic in Glendale who specialize in parts and service for the old automatics. They recommended a full service and new Dexron before we pull it out for a rebuild.

We also found that it works much better when fully warmed up. If started out in low and driven for a while then shifted to drive it seems to work much better. It's getting the service tomorrow and we'll see how it goes.

Thanks again, Lance