A/C Conversion - Need Advice

dship

I'd like to convert the 92 ruby red riv's A/C from R12 to R134A. I need your advise and also a list of what parts need to be replaced in order to have the job completed thoroughly/correctly....thanks<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Guest asinger

As far as I personally know, you shouldn't need any additional "parts" for the conversion.

HOWEVER, you will have to have the existing system evacuated. An HVAC person can do this with a vacuum pump and collection tank. But, this does get costly. Call around to every place that does AC charging and find out who does it the cheapest.

Then it's a matter of charging the system with R134A, which you can actually do with your own kit you can buy almost anywhere. Or just pay the AC person to do it if you want.

I had it done to my daily driver in 2001 and it's worked fine ever since.

Suck to old stuff out, blow the new stuff in.

When R-134A first came out, they were trying to tell us that all the seals and O-rings would need to be changed as well as the orifice tube. On my 1984 BMW 325e, I pumped it down with a vacuum pump and charged it with R-134A. It blew so cold, it hurt!

The operative step here is to get the system on a vacuum pump and draw it down for a while to get all of the old stuff out. You should then be able to put some new PAG oil in and new R134A in and it should work OK if everything else is good. GM was putting the new style rubber hoses that are required the new refrigerant from the middle to late 80's on depending on the car line. Just remember, don't forget the new oil.

Guest pfloro

I have read several times that the mineral oil used with R-12 is totally incompatible with R-134a. If the oil doesn't mix with the refrigerant, it can't circulate and lubricate the compressor & seals. I'm not sure if you need to do a flush to totally remove the mineral oil. As Larry mentioned, PAG oil is used with R-134a. Since you are planning to change refrigerants, I would change the orifice tube (very inexpensive part) while the system is empty. In additional to metering the condensed refrigerant into the evaporator so that it can evaporate once again (& absorb heat), it also contains filter material. This material can get clogged over time.

Keep us posted.

Good Luck,

Paul

Edited by pfloro (see edit history)