A/C Conversion - Need Advise

dship

I'd like to convert the 92 ruby red riv's A/C from R12 to R134A. I need your advise and also a list of what parts need to be replaced in order to have the job completed thoroughly/correctly....thanks

Guest TwoDoorBuickMan

Does your system still operate? Procedures are different if your system has leaked the freon.

Let me start by saying I have very little/no knowledge of A/C mechanics (I get a mental block/mind melt when trying to read & understand car A/C's!).

All I know is that the climate control works fine (Heat, Econ, Fan). But, if I push either the A/C or Auto button the yellow "Service A/C" warning light illuminates on the IPC. I don't get any cool/cold air even if I set the temp to 60F.

The heater works perfectly...I push "Heat" and set the temp reading to 72F (outside temp 62F) and the fan blows from hi to low until it reaches 72F inside the car.

My blue riv was converted to R134A before I bought it and it blows quite cold. I'd like to have the ruby red one do the same.

Guest TwoDoorBuickMan

The warning light indicates a low charge or an empty system. If the system has been open to outside air, you almost need a professional mechanic with proper equipment to repair it. I have had great luck with a product called Enviro Safe. It is a drop in replacement for Freon or R 134, but you need to know if your system has leaked all the oil, or if it is just low on refrigerant. I suggest going to a professional mechanic if you are not familiar with the workings of the system. Check out the Enviro Safe web site. The people there are very knowledgeable and helpful. Most people at AutoZone, Advance and O'Reilly have some knowledge of AC systems. If your system is empty, you can buy a kit for about $50 to fill it with R 134. It will include the necessary fittings, refrigerant and hoses to add the refrigerant.