Is it possible to have an ABS light but no codes???

Guest Kitskaboodle

Guest Kitskaboodle

Been trying to get that dang ABS light off for 2 years now. :(

As I previously mentioned in another thread I had been getting random

brake failure (and I do mean random) so I have not been driving it.

As I have time I try to get in there and take a few cracks at it.

Recently I had been getting a code 13 and 22 but I heard 13 doesnt exist! So......I focused on the known code (22) and verified that I do

have 5-7 ohms at the ECBM connector. (for the pinouts the manual said to check) Anyways, after this I reset the ECBM, took it for a short drive (over 40 mph) and re-read the codes. There were none. (other than the customary code 12).

That's pretty weird that all of a sudden there are no trouble codes!

Funny thing is....my ABS light still does the same thing it's always done:

A) start the car (no ABS light) B) step on brake (ABS light comes on and stays on all the time from that point on)

How can there be no codes yet have an ABS light??????

Oh, and by the way...why does everybody (including the manual) say the ABS light is AMBER? It is not!!!!! It is green dang it!

OK... I feel better now... :)

Kit / 90 Reatta

Guest wally888

ABS light is yellow as stated in site below-also going there, taking the tests will probably identify your problem.

ABS codes are found at the ALDL also described at reatta.net /brakes.

Guest Kitskaboodle
ABS light is yellow as stated in site below-also going there, taking the tests will probably identify your problem.

ABS codes are found at the ALDL also described at reatta.net /brakes.

Yes, I had already done those tests in the recent past and posted the results here. That is where I got the code 13 and 22. :) (I got the codes by shorting the last two pins on the upper right side of the ALDL connector under the steering column)

Oh, and my ABS light is absolutely, positively GREEN, not amber.

Perhaps my speedo was swapped out with a Riviera??

Thanks, Kit

Guest Kitskaboodle
I wonder if maybe you have a shorted diode. It is in the harness near the EBCM in the trunk.

Where in the harness is it? How far back from the connector?

Do I measure it for resistance with the iginition on or off?

Also, what should the resistance/ohms/volts should it read?

Thanks, Kit

" (I got the codes by shorting the last two pins on the upper right side of the ALDL connector under the steering column)"

The two pins next to each other (A&B) flash the SES light with ECM codes. To get EBCM codes you join A to G (88) or A to H (89-90) and the ABS light will flash.

The diode in in the harness within 6" of the EBCM in the trunk. It is probably taped to the harness. If the light goes out when you remove the diode, it is a different problem.

Guest C.F.Massie

The ABS brake light only means you possibly have no ABS braking, if the normal red brake light is not lighting up then you still have brakes. I sure wouldn't let not having an ABS system working spoil my pleasure of driving my Reatta in the mean time.

I would but am strange about things involving "safety of flight". Something that does not work properly is also like an itch to me, eventually it is going to get scratched. There is also the factor that since my youngest car is 17 this year (and just needed to repair the wiper switch), if I let something go, projects will mushroom.

Guest Kitskaboodle
The ABS brake light only means you possibly have no ABS braking, if the normal red brake light is not lighting up then you still have brakes. I sure wouldn't let not having an ABS system working spoil my pleasure of driving my Reatta in the mean time.

It's too unpredictable to drive....

There were a few times when i almost had to change my underwear. :(

If you've never had the ABS kick in you're in for a treat. :(

Can you say 75% brake loss RIGHT NOW? Sure you can....:)

Kit / 90 Reatta

Guest Kitskaboodle
" (I got the codes by shorting the last two pins on the upper right side of the ALDL connector under the steering column)"

The two pins next to each other (A&B) flash the SES light with ECM codes. To get EBCM codes you join A to G (88) or A to H (89-90) and the ABS light will flash.

The diode in in the harness within 6" of the EBCM in the trunk. It is probably taped to the harness. If the light goes out when you remove the diode, it is a different problem.

A big OOPS! :(

I was going by memory and jumpered the WRONG pins! (sorry......) :(

I will jumper A & H by this afternoon and report back the findings.

Thanks for the correction Padgett! :)

Kit / 90 Reatta / 85 & 86 Fiero GT's

Guest Kitskaboodle

OK.....I jumpered A&H on the ALDL connector to check the stored ABS codes but the ABS light did not flash at all. In fact, it stayed on solid the whole time I

did this test. Therefore, there are no codes, correct?

So, I checked the section (in my FSM) where it talks about the ABS light being on but no codes. It said to go to chart "B". (section 5E1-51)

Section B says to read resistance between pin 1 (450E) and body ground. (referring to the ECBM connector of course)

I got 4.4 ohms on my multimeter. The bubble chart says if over 2 ohms to "Repair open or high resistance in CKT 450B or 450E".

What is CKT? (circuit?)

Where do I go from here?

Thanks, Kit / 90 Reatta

Pin 1 on the EBCM connector is to ground. If you have a resistive ground things will be wonky. Connector is shown in figure 5E1-16 See also "system diagnosis chart B "Anti-Lock" Lamp on and no abs codes present.

If I was getting that, I'd try just adding a ground wire right at the EBCM mount but 4.4 ohms should not bother it. Did you try pulling the diode ?

Guest Kitskaboodle
Pin 1 on the EBCM connector is to ground. If you have a resistive ground things will be wonky. Connector is shown in figure 5E1-16 See also "system diagnosis chart B "Anti-Lock" Lamp on and no abs codes present.

If I was getting that, I'd try just adding a ground wire right at the EBCM mount but 4.4 ohms should not bother it. Did you try pulling the diode ?

I ran a ground wire from the ECBM housing to body ground.

No luck....ABS light is still on the whole time you're driving down the road.

In fact, it seems as though I'm getting the dreaded pedal "pulsing" quite a bit more lately. :(

In regard to the diode, I couldnt find it although I peeled back quite a bit of

electrical tape from the connector back. I did notice 4 wires that were completely wrapped in black electrical tape. Each one of them had a bare stranded wire coming out and all of them were soldered to a black & white striped wire that is marked 130. Not sure why the factory would do this.

I think I'm at a standstill unless you have any other ideas?

Thanks Padgett for all your help! :)

Kit

Guest Kitskaboodle

Oohhh.....I saw that first off but I thought it was some kind of auxilary hook-up

for some other option. :(

Silly me....I will go ahead and disconnect the diode and report back tommorow sometime.

Thanks, Kit