Technical Specs on 442 W-30

Guest coltsneckbob

Guest coltsneckbob

Where can I get the specs for timing, dwell and plug gaps for a 1970 olds 442 with W-30.

I actually would like to buy a book on the car, but went to Chiltons online and their manuals give only the most basic info.

I went to 442.com, but I am not certain all their info is correct. For example: they have a chart that says the plug type for my car is R44S; however the vehicle currently has R45S and at the Pep Boys auto store they also said it should be R45S.

Any suggestions?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

From 1970 Olds Chassis Service Manual (ta-da! the factory actually published a comprehensive service manual for your car!):

Slow idle speed-

455 CI AT W30, 650 RPM in Drive

455 CI MT W30, 750 RPM

Fast idle speed-

455 CI AT W30 1050 RPM in Park

455 CI MT W30 1000 RPM

Ignition Timing- set at 30 degrees point dwell

455 CI AT W30 10 deg BTDC @ 850 RPM using super premium fuel

455 CI AT W30 8 deg BTDC @ 850 RPM using premium fuel

455 CI MT W30 12 deg BTDC @ 850 RPM using super premium fuel

455 CI MT W30 8 deg BTDC @ 850 RPM using premium fuel

Keep in mind premium and super premium fuels were a different animal back then- anywhere from 102-110 octane. Most everyone's premium was at least 100 octane. Sunoco 260, Phillips 66 FliteFuel, and Pure Oil Firebird Super were in the 108-110 octane range.

OE spark plug-

All 455 CI W30 use AC R44S gapped at .030

I expect Pep Boys (and others) call for R45S or equivalent because the 44 is an obsolete plug and no longer made. The 45 is a little hotter plug and may actually be better for the engine using currently available fuels.

Edited by rocketraider (see edit history)

Guest coltsneckbob

Thanks so much. Do you know where I can get proper technical manuals? It seems to be most of the stuff I found on net is junk and truly useless!

The factory service manuals pop up on ebay from time to time, or most old car literature vendors have them. The 1970 CSM has been reprinted and is available in hardcopy and CD form, though I keep hearing the scan quality is not good on some of the CD versions.

Chassis Service Manual and Fisher Body Manual are good starting points for a service literature collection and will cover most any service need you have. There are also Technical Information Bulletins and Oldsmobile Service Guild newsletters that cover updates and running changes. These were usually kept in their own ring binders when they were received at the dealership and each mechanic was supposed to have his own copy of all this stuff.

That's why CSM's sometimes have greasy pages! They were working books.