Rear Speaker info

Guest Keith_Milford

Guest Keith_Milford

Okay, I've searched for an hour, but I apparently don't know what I'm doing. Anyway, I'm getting ready to replace my rear speakers, and the general answer here is to just buy some 6.5" replacements. However, in doing my recon in the trunk, it appears that there is a component system in there-the 6.5s and a smaller speaker mounted outboard of each. I would assume a tweeter, but it looks to be all magnet. It has "7 ohm" stamped on it, and appears to have only one wire to it. So...would I just replace the 6.5s and disable this smaller one?

Thanks,

Keith

Guest Richard D

Daniel, When did Delco finally start using amps that can handle 4 ohms? When I replaced my door speakers I was surprised to see a 4 ohm rating. All the 1980s and earlier Delco radios would toast their outputs below 8 ohms. Had warnings not to use less than 10 ohm speakers. My Fiero had 4X10 10 ohm speakers in the front, nobody made aftermarket of that size and impedence.

Guest Keith_Milford

Thanks for the info. I've read some threads here where people have used Infiniti Kappas (which I love) that are 2 ohm. 4 ohm would probably be safer. Anyway, the point is that I didn't realize the stocks were component. Are you confirming that the outboard speakers are tweeters?

FYI-

88 and 89 had the component speakers in the rear quarters. In 1990 and 1991 6x9's were used, except the convertibles which I think were 4x10 maybe? I know they were some very strange size due to the different rear quarter/storage trim.

All years had component speakers (woofer/tweeter) on the front door panels.

Also, if researching fitment at Best Buy on their computer, it doesn't make any differentiation between 88/89 and 90/91 or convertibles for that matter (all listed specs are based on 88/89 coupe stock setup). Be forewarned of this, it may save you aggravation of buying the wrong speakers and having to exchange later.

KDirk

• 3 months later...
Guest SwiftBuicks

Picking this thread to update my progress bringing my '89 Riv up to snuff, I just replaced the original rear speakers with co-axial ones. What a great sound this has produced!!! The old speakers looked like new, but when I tested the resistance, they gave me nothing. Although the new radio supposedly had an equalizer, I didn't see it on the CRT. I am going check now to see if that was perhaps because of the dead speakers. I'm starting to think that there was some kind of electrical surge when the car went through one of the two hurricanes (Frances and Jeanne) which brought upon all the defects. The Resume light is still lit from the time I open the door until everything shuts down.