Teves brake pushrod?

Guest wally888

Guest wally888

Is the push rod from the pedal to metering valve adjustable? I have a FSM but can find no picture of the entire push rod.

Guest wally888

Thanks.

Wonder what pushes on the rod to return the pedal to it's highest position?

I only have access to this one , a 90, and a 91. When ignition is off in 91 the pedal is hard and is at it's top position.

The 90 pedal, ignition off, will go down easily about 1 1/2".

When released it recovers about 1". Then must be helped to recover another 1/2" to it's top position.

When driving, if I want to engage TCC, reduce rpm, I must slide my foot under pedal and lift it the 1/2 ".....

Guest wally888

Having owned 6 Reattas, written and organized the "Brakes Section" at reatta.net , composed the Brake Tests (except the last test by Padgett), I am somewhat familar w/ the differences!

It appears the pedal, pedal mount, pedal arm and possibly the push rod are the same for all models. Perhaps the push rod is a different length.

All I was asking was for someone to see if their system w/Teves, has the same action as mine. If the pedal easily return to top position, is somewhat hard in that position w/ key off..........................and perhaps someone who had replaced a Teves would remember the push rod being adjustable or......................

I suspect there are others out there who may have the same problem, just are not aware their rpm's should be no more then 1500 at 55 mph if TCC is locked.

Wally, I hate that I insulted your intelligence by trying to help you. I'm surprised that someone with that vast amount of knowledge about the Reatta brake system can't figure out why a brake pedal will not return fully to the top position.

I'm going to try to help again but I hope it doesn't pi$$ you off. I just went to my '88 and pressed down on the brake pedal without starting it. It goes down about 1-1/2 inches then returns to the top position. If I pull up on the pedal with my hand it will come up maybe 1/8 inch. I'm not sure if the 1/8 inch is slack or flex in the mount.

Guest wally888

The only part of a Teves brake push rod I've seen is the end w/ bolt/nut/cotter pin. If I were not almost 80 I would have disconnected the push rod from pedal arm to see if the pedal arm is binding at it's mount (w/ bushing, maybe corroded or ?). If not binding then something is wrong w/ Teves, maybe a broken spring or?

When I stand on my head w/ my butt in the seat, I am sore for a week. I have arranged for someone to do this for me.

Thanks for the results re. your pedal.

Not sure about the back handed " I'm surprised that someone with that vast amount of knowledge about the Reatta brake system can't figure out why a brake pedal will not return fully to the top position." Not very subtle!

Guest crazytrain2

I snapped a pic of push rod mechanism and added to the site at the link below (Pic is at the bottom of the site). Pushrod length is adjustable (on this version)and there is a spring which is compressed when brakes are applied which at the least aids in the return of pushrod.

Hope it helps

http://www.freewebs.com/workhardplayhard/

Guest wally888

Thanks!

Where does this push rod adjust, at the seperation point?

As I remember, it looks different than mine however mine has a boot on it. Will take another look.

Will the boot easily slip back and away from the Teves?

Guest crazytrain2

Yes it adjusts at the separation point, after removing bolt/nut/cotter pin open end wrench fits on the hex (inner portion of push rod) and you can use the flat (on outer portion of shaft)to turn for length adjustment.

The boot will slip away easy enough but you have to remove the four (4) nuts from bolt's going through fire wall. A couple of them boogers are kinda hard to get at.

Guest wally888

Think Ronnie is right!

I suspect I have a broken spring although you'd think that wasn't possible. Otherwise must have binding at the pedal arm mount.

The fellow who is going to look/sort this out is on vacation.