Horn issue

me again...this time its the horn..it does not sound like a horn ..it only moans..took apart the actual italian horn , cleaned it...still rattling and moaning..eventually sounding like a horn when u press long enough ( 6 seconds or more)...any procedures to refurbish the old thing or can I just hook up anything to it?

Guest LouZ

Age, not used all add up to the lazy air compressor. There is an inlet, then opposite there is the pressure side to the horn, While running squirt some WD-40 into the inlet. that usually rejuvenates it. If necessary a new one is available from "Groits Garage". Good Luck, Lou

Guest My TC Toy

A couple things to be mindful of when you remove the cap of the compressor:

-Take notice that the three blades are NOT square cut on the sode that runs against the walls. Thet are cut at a small angle in order to get a better seal. When removing them don't turn them around, they must go back in the original position.

- Use a fine grit water paper (400) and carefully sand the wear side of the blades to remove any scrapes

- Sand the walls of the compressor with the same paper to remove any scrapes. A little oil will help.

Try to keep everything even and do not gouge the blades or walls by sanding too mich in one location. I did this with mine and the compressor now works perfectly.

Leave the compressor dry. Do not add any oil because the oil will cause dust, etc., to accumulate and gum up the blades, they must float freely.

Great rebuild tips TCToy cool.gif I've never opened up one of the compressors, I've just hit them with some light lube oil (works for me but if it's the wrong thing for the compressor internals blush.gif, you didn't hear it from me ;)) and they have put out a blast of air that gives our TC's that classic eek.gif tone...

Alan

Guest d_voitel

Good thoughts! My TC horn sounds anemic as well. Didn't realize they were run by a compressor. I just thought it was a lazy horn. Thanks for the ideas.

Duane

Guest Majmx

Shelbyone;

Which of the above recommendations did you accomplish to get you Italian horn problem corrected?

All the above recommendations are appreciated for I have to work on mine but would like to know which method you used to correct your problem.

Cheers,

Bob

UK

hey bob!

I disconnected it from the car, took out the 3 top screws, and very cautiously took out all the moving parts ( the 4 blades will come loose so please be careful to remember which way they go back in) cleaned the inside of the compressor housing with sanding paper ( now its shiny again) ( did not put oil or anything on the sanded surfaces) cleaned the blades with sanding paper...put some wd40 into the little hole on top of where the the blades go...put it back together, make sure u connect it right! put it make into the tc and voila...there is was! very loud and clear!

hope I was able to help!

Guest d_voitel

I believe I spooks in my TC. I had need to use the horn yesterday and it worked just fine. If it acts up again, I'll clean the compressor. As for now, I'm a happy camper.

Like many things with our TCs They Don't Get Used Enough. Really they just hang up for lack of use. blow that horn occasionally and it will work for a longer time.. LZ