Display problem '08 La Crosse

RShepherd

I frequently drive a senior friend of mine in his '08 La Crosse CXL. The car only has about 3,000 miles on it and from time to time all of the digital displays (below the speedometer, automatic climate control, and radio) get very dim or disappear completely. Until today, turning the ignition off and restarting the car immediately restored the displays to their normal brightness, but I tried that twice today with no success. The displays finally came up to normal brightness on their own while sitting at a stop light. I know this is one of those things that is not going to happen while the car is in the dealer's service department and the dreaded "could not duplicate customer's complaint" will appear on the work order. Has anyone else had this problem?

I'm surprised this is happening on J. D. Power's 2008 "Most Dependable Mid-Sized Car".

I have had this happen occasionally on our 06 La Crosse. I suspect it is the automatic headlight switch and sensor going through a reset function, but I don't know that for certain.

If the headlights come on then the dash display would dim. The car thinks it is night time. Is there something covering the black dot on top of the dash towards the middle of the car? Could also be moisture within that sensor although I don't know how it would have gotten moisture in it.

Next time it happens try turning the headlights off right away and see if the dash display comes back up to normal. This may help the dealer diagnose the situation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JohnD1956</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had this happen occasionally on our 06 La Crosse. I suspect it is the automatic headlight switch and sensor going through a reset function, but I don't know that for certain.

If the headlights come on then the dash display would dim. The car thinks it is night time. Is there something covering the black dot on top of the dash towards the middle of the car? Could also be moisture within that sensor although I don't know how it would have gotten moisture in it.

Next time it happens try turning the headlights off right away and see if the dash display comes back up to normal. This may help the dealer diagnose the situation. </div></div>

Thanks, John. When I drive his car later this week, I'll check the things you mentioned.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JohnD1956</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had this happen occasionally on our 06 La Crosse. I suspect it is the automatic headlight switch and sensor going through a reset function, but I don't know that for certain.

If the headlights come on then the dash display would dim. The car thinks it is night time.</div></div>

I'll second that.

My '96 Riviera behaves this way if I should turn the lights on during the daytime. On a rainy day for example.

The dash lights are dimmed until the car figures out there is daylight, then the dash lights brighten.

I doubt there is anything for the dealer to diagnose.