Oldsmobile Rocket Oiling

I have a 1955 Olds Super 88 Holiday, 324 V8, 4bbl. I believe the oil filter was an option on this motor. There is an aluminum adapter which bolts to the motor for mounting the filter. On the side of the adapter there is an 1/8" pipe tap hole. In this hole is a compression elbow with a piece of 1/8" diameter copper tube that goes up to a tee behind the carb. Each side of the tee has a copper tube running to the valve covers. The covers are notched to allow for the tubing to spray oil directly to the rocker arms.

Has anyone heard of or seen this before? I have looked at hundreds of photos online and do not see this setup anywhere.

Guest BobOlds

Those kits show up from time to time on that online auction site. The purpose is to get oil to the rocker shafts and valve stem ends. The Olds oiling system took a route up through the cam bearings, aright angle turn through a groove cut in the cylinder head another right angle thru the head and up through one of the rocker stands and then out through the shaft. Old oils tended to sludge up quickly and this path then resulted in lessend flow.